So I went to GNC...

And I asked "I've lost 14 pounds on my own but haven't lost anything in two months. Is there anything that can help with that, WITHOUT speeding up my heart rate?" He says the only thing they really have that won't mess with my heart rate is this stuff called Women's Ultra Mega Active. It has these pouches with like 8 pills in it to take every day. I'm on my 2nd day and I don't know how much more of this I can take. The pills STINK, absolutely horrible, and this morning I made the mistake of taking them with water and one of them dissolved in my mouth and it was SO BITTER. So tell me ladies, is there anything YOU would recommend?

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• -reduce your calories a bit further
    -try to eat as many unprocessed foods as possible
    -limit your carbs and starches
    -increase the intensity of your workouts
    -add light weight training if you aren't doing that already
    -make sure you're getting enough sleep

That's how you bust through a plateau. Pfffft for GNC. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes, reduce portions, exercise. There is nothing that you can take to magically melt the pounds away. It takes hard work and dedication. Count calories, count carbs, exercise, portion size, no magic pills.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• First of all, STOP expecting a pill to fix this. We all have plateaus. I started losing weight Feb 2010, and I lost 17 lbs, then plateaued for about 4 MONTHS. Then in September, I started running, and now I've lost 58 lbs, with more to go. You CANNOT expect a pill of ANY kind to fix your weight issues. NONE of them are healthy. Take a multivitamin and leave it at that. From there, there are some things you can do (here's my journal where I finally wrote it all out, because it doesn't all fit into this box). 

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Losing weight takes WORK, and you HAVE to be willing to put forth the effort if you want to actually lose weight and keep it off. Look at what you're eating, look at your exercise, and work on changing the behaviors that are working against you. Do you eat out of boredom? Do you clear your plate, even if you're already full? Do you eat because others are eating? Do you eat mindlessly?
    musicpisces

• I have already changed up my workout and diet. I am not looking to lose weight without doing the work. My biggest problem is keeping my daily sugar intake in check but I've gotten better at it. I already count calories and every other nutrient on the list, daily. I've just hit a rough patch. I'm not wanting to stay on any kind of pills for the long haul, just something to get me over this.
    mhaney03

Comment by mhaney03 (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You want to get off the plateau - blow your diet completely. Sometimes you have to completely blow the diet to keep it working. Spend a day eating all the junk you avoid.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Why is it because I left out details about my diet do you people assume the worst as in me expecting a pill to do the work? Good God if you can't answer the question then move on!
    mhaney03

Comment by mhaney03 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• @twinsplus2more -- some one on the diet chat boards at myfitnesspal.com suggested that. I'm leary of it because not sure if I can get back on the wagon the next day but I just might try it.
    mhaney03

Comment by mhaney03 (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I understand your frustration, OP, but the answer I gave you is from my experience, not something I read in a book. I have lost over 60 pounds, and it's been a journey with LOTS of plateaus, lots of times I almost gave up, thinking "well, I guess this is just the size I am supposed to be", but I would push through, work a little harder, cut out a little more excess in my diet (I promise, almost everyone has some), and eventually, the weight would start coming off again, slowly but surely. It just doesn't come easily for some of us. The pills can be tempting, but they're also potentially dangerous, and they really don't TEACH us anything, KWIM? If we learn how to handle these curveballs properly, we'll be ready for the next one. We'll know how to do it the healthy way, and we'll feel better about ourselves in the long run.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• And I thought we did answer the question...? Didn't you ask what we recommend?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2011