Bra washing....

I noticed that my brand new bras say "hand wash only" on the little tag. I have always thrown mine in the washing machine and not thought a thing of it. Is it better to hand wash them for any particular reason?

UnconditionalU

Asked by UnconditionalU at 9:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• hand washing is done so that the elastic or fabric doesn't wrinkle. I would toss one in as a tester on gentle and see how it goes.. just air dry them
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• They last longer when hand washed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It saves the elastic and prevents the cups from deforming.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Okay, that makes sense. Mine usually last awhile. What kills them is the underwire breaks through after about a year and pokes me in the armpit. So maybe hand washing will help with that?

Thanks for the responses!
    UnconditionalU

Comment by UnconditionalU (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I wash them in the washer but I hang dry them.
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 9:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I am not sure, but I only own one bra so I wear it a couple days before washing. I was more in the summer, but what I do since I only have one bra is when I go to take a bath and my bra needs washed. I throw my bra in with me I put soap on it and hand was it and then I throw it over the shower rack and then I let it hang dry until tomorrow lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• They sell these little mesh bags that you can put your bras inside, THEN throw in the washer. They help protect them more & help them get more of a "hand wash" without having to hand wash them. I hang dry them, i never put them in the dryer.

Here is a link for a bra washing bag, this ones is only $5.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bra+washing+bags&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=pge&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&biw=1152&bih=674&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7010735555341836780&sa=X&ei=IlakTbTTEouO0QGKyIj8CA&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAw#

Sorry, when i use firefox..my link won't turn blue & clicky...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Woolite makes a special bag just for bras that you can toss in the washing machine. I use that and wash everything on cold and then air dry. The heat from hot water or the dryer breaks down the elastic.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I put mine in a mesh bag and wash them in the machine on the hand wash cycle.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I took a textiles class in college and was taught that anything with lycra/spandex (same thin one is just a trademarked brand) should be hand washed and air dyed. Its the heat that damages the elastin which you need for shape. But they know most people don't do that, so it may last only 1-2 years instead of 5 or 6, so what. Do what 's convenient for you. BTW I personally think the delicate setting on the washer is more gentle then your hands, it can spin all that water out without having to wring it out.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 10:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2011