What do you think about Blue Laws?

Do you think they are unconstitutional? http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/rel_liberty/free_exercise/topic.aspx?topic=blue_laws

Do you live in a State where there are still Blue Laws? http://www.prohibitionrepeal.com/legacy/hall.asp

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should be up to the store owner to choose their hours of operation. Besides, with the awesomeness of the internet, you can buy just about anything you need online--24/7/365!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i think its silly. common sense tells you to stock up, to avoid the no-sales day(s). it (the law) is a waste of paper, IMO.
    what is sillier, economically, is dry/wet-county issues. again, common sense reminds people to drive across county line to make their purchase, which is $great$ for the huge package-store just steps over the county line, but causes loss of tax revenue for the dry-county.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes I do live in a state with them and I dont have a problem with it whatsoever. I used to live in CA and everything was open every day. Once I moved to the south it took a little getting used to, but I now appreciate it. I actually do less on Sundays and spend more time with my family then I did when I lived in CA and I could still do business on Sundays. I think its a great thing that can be used to your advantage and used as a family day.

Answer by gemgem at 9:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Blue laws in Va were taken off the books when a politician argued he could buy a Playboy at the gas station on Sunday, and not a Bible at the discount store.
    Blue laws do not need to be on the books, but any business can be closed on Sunday and be profitable. Google Chick fil A and it's success.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I'm a business owner and I think customers that want to do business with me will do so when I am open. One of the first things I did when I purchased the dry cleaners was to change the hours....they were open 7-6 M-F and 8-5 S. I took an hour a day from M-F and cut S to 10-2. We are also closed on a lot more holidays. I also changed our deliveries to twice a week instead of daily..unless it is a hotel. Zero problems..in fact I have increased my business.

I think being closed on Sunday can be a good business practice. It gives a built in "day off" to the week and imo it encourages family time.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday's as well.

yourspecialkid

• i am in VA and just about everything is open on sunday, except a few stores in olde town, by choice, just as chik-fil-a...which i hate cause it always seems on a sunday when i crave it the most LOL
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think they're silly, and may just hurt whatever town has the prohibitions depending on the area and whether the surrounding areas have the same laws. I live in TN, and while you can buy liquor on Sundays here (not sure about other counties), there are silly rules about beer and liquor not being sold in the same retail location. So, you sometimes see beer and tobacco stores right next door to liquor and wine stores--owned by the SAME people. It's nonsense!

My husband is from Kentucky, and he lived in a 'dry county', but everyone just goes to the next county (a few miles away from where they lived) to buy alcohol. In that case, that town is losing a lot of revenue (taxes and business in their restaurants, etc). A good portion of the town are Southern Baptists, and many of them go to the next town too-they just go through the drive thru at the liquor store instead (and drive through liquors are not a good idea IMO either). LOL
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think being closed on Sunday can be a good business practice. It gives a built in "day off" to the week and imo it encourages family time.

I think Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday's as well.

--

I think Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays. The one near us is.

I think businesses choosing to be closed on Sundays is a little different than these laws that force them to be closed on Sundays even if they don't want to be. Or if a business is open on Sunday, but sells beer, etc. they have to put these drape like things over all the liquor so no one can buy them (like some places in KY did)--even though they can see them and the store is still open. That's the stuff I think is silly. A business choosing to be closed certain days is their preference. I do think it's nice that companies allow their employees a day off though. When I was younger, I worked for places that didn't care about that kind of thing--it would have been nice.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes. Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011