Should I expect non-rsvpers to show up?

My son sent 8 birthday invitations to school friends for his 5th birthday, with 3 1/2 weeks notice. Of these, only 2 have RSVPed. Should I expect the others to show anyways?

JoyXtwo

Asked by JoyXtwo at 9:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• you should, because if you don't count them, and they do show,.......then it messes the plan up, such as short of goody bags, food, prizes for games, etc......
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• yes, same thing happened to me this year & everyone showed up! I HATE it when people don't use the 2 seconds it takes to RSVP!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Sometimes. Usually when I invite a class room I have learned around 5-10 show up (RSVP or not).

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• As you get closer to the party date, if they still haven't responded, I would send them an e-mail (or call them). If they're in your son's class, the teacher should have the contact info.
    If you can't do that, then I would say that most people who don't bother to RSVP also don't bother to show up. A few may, but not most, so a couple of extra goody bags would likely suffice.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think it's so rude to not rsvp. I wonder if I could get the list from the teacher? I might do that. Thanks.
    JoyXtwo

Comment by JoyXtwo (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree, it's totally rude. But honestly, get used to it because it seems to be pretty common these days. Definitely talk to the teacher if your RSVP deadline goes by without responses from the rest of them. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't understand why people don't get what RSVP means! I would email or call the parents, honestly, who knows if they even got the invitation,? If you can't do that I would plan on about 1/2 who didn't say they were coming to come,, I hope your not having a pay by the child party,, good luck and tell him happy birthday!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just had my son's 5th birthday party on Saturday. We invited the whole class, 18 kids and gave 3 weeks to respond. 2 RSVP'd that they would be attending. I planned for the amount we expected. My supervisor/friend said I should probably plan on a few more showing. Sure enough....Well, it was only 1, but still, I would have been unprepared had my friend not warned me about that.
    I agree with the others, it's rude, but I made a big fuss over how we were so happy he made it and that it was no biggie that they didn't respond.
    Tell your son Happy Birthday!!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Probably. My kids "crashed" a birthday party last month. The girl (rides the bus with my kids) gave out invites weeks before her party. I hung it up and forgot all about it until the night before the party. Kind of too late to RSVP so I told the kids they couldn't go but to wish her a happy birthday. They assumed that meant the day of the party so they went over and didn't come back. They didn't have a gift so they each gave her a bunch of their own silly bandz which I heard she liked. In our neighborhood it's just kind of expected. I through a party for my 5yo on the 2nd. I invited 2 kids (by word of mouth, there were no paper invites) and ended up with 7 kids at the party. I had to kick my son and his friend out because they were too wild. The girls had fun though (ages 5-11). I only provided party favors for the kids I invited, though. I talked to the 1 girl's dad and he said the same thing happened them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2011