Is there a way to make yourself dialate or go into labor or something that will help anyway?

I am 23 weeks today so I don't need to do this for a while, but would like to know. With my first I was induced on my due date (40 weeks). I wasn't dialated, but he induced me because my hips were small and they said that if I went over my due date I would end up with a 10 pound baby. I ended up having forceps. My second baby I was asked if I wanted to be induced because I was afraid of having forceps again they wanted to make that baby smaller so it would be easier to deliver. I was induced at 5 days early. I wasn't dilated with her either. This time around I want to try going into labor on my own, but I don't dilate until my water breaks the first they used cervidel and the second my dr broke the water. How can I go on my own or make myself start to dilate without going to much over my due date?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You yourself cannot contol all of this. Attempts to do so could potentially harm your child and you. If you are concerned about these things, you need to talk to your doctor about it. Not get random advice online about doing it yourself.

People think these methods worked for them, but they were probably already going into labor anyway. Babies come when they are ready. This is about baby coming out safe. Keep the cake in the oven until it's done baking. Your body will go into labor on it's own.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Have sex. My dr. told me that sperm can cause your cervix to dialate.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• There isn't enough prostiglandens in sperm to make you go into labor. And it doesn't cause your cervix to dialate, only soften...
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• How big was that first baby ("almost 10-pounder")? just curious.

Does your doctor explain how hip bones separate?
    That when you move and wriggle- working with gravity BIG babies pass through the shifting bones?
    Babies heads mold (Bones move inward) and they wriggle through the pelvis as mom moves her body?
    And that mom can open her pelvis wider w/positioning?
    (if not, he should!)

You might consider another care provider.
    How can you *know* you can't deliver your baby normally if you never get to try?
    Using forceps when you are lying down to labor happens-- you can get up and labor when the baby is down (engaged), and your body is Ready (dilated, effaced, contracting on it's own)-- this makes quite a difference!

You will dilate when your body is ready to have your baby, of course. Patience!
    ;-)
    Have you considered using another provider, perhaps one who will be respectful of health & sa
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• doulala

he said if I went past 40 weeks I would end up with a 10 pound baby. She was 8.1. The second time around I had 5 days early to make that one smaller, but it didn't work that way she was 8.7. Thie baby they are already saying is going to be bigger than the 2 and I am only 23 weeks. I didn't have a very good doctor the first time around he didn't explain or tell me anything then I went to the dr that ended up delivering my first with my second and this one and he is a really good doctor. They wouldn't let me up because I had an epidural with both of them. I am using the provider that delivered my second baby and he also came into deliver my first because my doctor called him and said I needed an emergency c-section. But he said if her gave me a c-section it could kil me or the baby because her head was completely stuck in the birth canal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Well there are a lot of things you can do to work to avoid those sorts of complications.
    I am concerned that you might be getting pressured into unnecessary procedures.
    There is a well-known "Cascade Of Intervention" that happens for most women when they start with one things then another follows and then another... like an avalanche.

We can generally avoid all that mess by declining unnecessary stuff to begin with.

The next thing is Informed Consent.
    You need to be told of all your options, the truth about your situation, the risks and benefits so that you can make informed choices (rather than being pressured or bullied).

I can offer more help, but overall it's the care provider you hire that can be your biggest Risk Factor.
    You can become more educated about your options, get support (non-medical staff like a birth doula), take classes, read books, etc.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• doulala

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have plenty of help to offer, lol. But this will be Enough for now! lol

Considering adding risks/interventions? It’s always useful to use B.R.A.N.D.:

* What are the BENEFITS? (of this being done)
    * What are the RISKS?
    * Are there ALTERNATIVES? (other than this being done)
    * Does it need to be done NOW?
    * Can we have some privacy to make a DECISION?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011