Severe peanut allergy in public school...

A 6 year old girl in FL has a severe peanut allergy....it's so severe it is considered a disability. Her classmates must wash her hands before entering the classroom after lunch and rinse out their mouths. Parents are getting upset and say she should just be yanked from public school to be homeschooled instead.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110322/hl_nm/us_peanut_allergy

I apologize if this has been asked before (I never saw it).  How do you feel about this?  Would it bother you that  your children had to make sure their hands were clean to protect another student's well-being?  Is it fair to tell them she needs to be homeschooled?  What would you do if your child has the same allergy?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 9:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't get the opposition to hand washing. School's went gung ho last year with hand washing, hand sanitizers, etc to avoid seasonal flu viruses and H1N1. Studies indicate that regular hand washing is key in cutting sick days. Shouldn't such a simple thing like washing one's hands be a non-issue? FWIW, my daughter is an allergic child. There is *NO* reason she needs to be home-school her. She's finishing her 2nd year in public school and the staff has done an fantastic job at keeping her safe. Amazingly, the school expected kids to wash their hands before an dafter eating as a normal course of hygiene and not allergy prevention. Imagine that! Her school is not peanut free nor do I want it to be. Parents and students in her classes have been phenomenal and supportive. They tend to go above and beyond what we expect in regards to DD's allergies. The good news is that THOSE people are the norm. Not the ones protesting.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• In her case she should be homeschooled. At some point in her life she is going to have to enter the work force or go to college and people are not going to care one way or another what she is allergic to. Other then putting her in a bubble I am not getting the advantage of having her in a public school where eventually the joker card will be pulled and she will die.

Answer by gemgem at 9:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think that if a child has an allergy that could so easily kill her, she should be home-schooled. If I were the parent, I'd do everything in my power to home school. Mistakes happen, especially with children. If it's so severe that children have to rinse their mouths out, that's too risky. What is a child comes to school with peanut butter smeared on their shirt?

LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If it was just her classroom, no, but it was posted before, and it sounded like it was the whole school. I think washing hands and rinsing would be okay for one classroom, but that is a LOT of time if everyone in the school has to before the day can start...and I think that an entire school being asked to do it over a classroom would be too much.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• So the parents are opposed to good hygiene? My kids school has them wash after recess and lunch the kids are allowed to brush their teeth after lunch too. My daughter has a peanut allergy and the school isn't nut free so it is nice they have the kids practice good hygiene. The school has lower incidents of the illness since they started having the kids wash their hands more. Too bad these parents hate the fact their kids will be clean seems those kids have much bigger issues than a child with a nut allergy in their school.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Peanut Allergies are not covered anymore under the ADA in accordance to a recent law suit. Kids with these allergies will no longer need to have anything done for them since their disorder does not keep them from living life normally (walking-talking-learning-working). Therefore the school has no obligation to waste tax payer money on a child whose parents are too self centered to stay home and home school their child they believe is so allergic she might die from a common food many people eat and may have on them (food particles etc). I do not believe my tax payer money should go for peanut sniffing dogs, hand washing, and wiping the kids down with chlorox wipes which is also dangerous to those kids and over the top. She needs to be pulled out of that school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• How could you enforce this? Line the whole school up at the bathrooms several times a day for mouth and hand washing??
    Homeschool,period

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My answer to this: I already homeschool my children, so I know if this had happened to us, that would be my choice anways. I don't think it's fair for the parents to say she shouldn't be allowed in public school. She deserves the same right as everyone else. Washing hands and rinsing mouths are not a big deal to me, and if I were a parent of one of the other children, I'd just leave it be.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• According to this article, it was only her classroom.
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Anon: I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere that their mouths were wiped with clorox wipes. It also appears that you don't believe a peanut allergy can keep a person from walking, talking, learning, and working....how about breathing?
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011