What can I give my 3 year old for cough?

My dd has developed a cough but has no other symptoms. It of course has gotten worse at night. Everything at the drug store is for 4 and up. Any suggestions of something I can do at home? Thanks.

mommyIam08

Asked by mommyIam08 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The dr said I could give my 2 yr old over the counter medicine just cut the dosage in half for what it says to give a 4 yr old. I would call and ask your little ones dr and see what he/she would recommend.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I've also heard that tea w/ honey helps.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• you can ask your pharmacist, even though the majority of stuff says for 4+ there are medications out there that are safe for younger children and he can tell you the correct dosage. there are homeopathic syrups out there also that say safe for 2+, i cant remember the name but it comes in a red box with a little teddy bear on the cover. also, vicks on the feet with socks over them helps sustain an overnight cough, lots of water will help her expectorate as well.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I give my daughter a spoonful of honey. And it tastes so good there is no fight to get her to take it. But it coats the throat and will help reduce coughing. I have also heard the Vicks on the feet trick but I haven't tried it myself.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Thanks ladies!
    mommyIam08

Comment by mommyIam08 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I've used Hylands Cough n Cold for my 3 year old when he is sick. It says it is safe for ages 2 and up. It seems to help him get to sleep when he has a bad cough, and there have been no side effects whatsoever.
    oddgirl

Answer by oddgirl at 5:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would see your dr before giving anything
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• mix 1 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp hot water. have her sip that; it really does NOT taste bad. the honey will soothe her throat and the vinegar will help heal its soreness. old tried-and-proved home remedy used in my family for generations.
    graham072442

Answer by graham072442 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2011