DD sometimes has night-time bouts of throwing up...

She will be 3 next month. This is the 3rd time now, since last fall, I would say, where she just wakes in the night sick as a dog. Took her temp, no fever, in fact it was LOW - it said 95.3 or something, then I took my own and it also said 95. something, so it's the thermometer. She woke, got sick, was fine shortly after, I changed her clothes & her sheets, put her back to bed, and within 5 minutes of her back asleep, it happened again. This happened about 5 times last night, between 10:30pm and 12:30am. I called the ped.'s after-hours exchange and they think it might be a virus, but there's no fever accompanied with it. (??) Just in case they had me call poison control, because we put out ant poison, but it's in places she absolutely cannot reach. Poison control said it wouldn't affect her unless she had the bottle and took in a whole bunch of the poison, and she wouldn't seem fine after throwing up, her belly would hurt constantly.

She seems perfectly fine this morning-- healthy appetite... happy... my issue is this morning, I'm supposed to visit my mom with the girls and "babysit" my aging stepdad who has dementia while mom goes to the doc. I feel guilty taking her out after the night we had, but she really seems fine, and if I decided to keep her home to rest, I have a feeling no resting will insue... this girl has ENERGY!!

What should I do? Does this occasional mystery sickness happen happen to your child?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could she be having a coughing fit that results in vomiting? My son has done this a few times because of postnasal drip from allergies

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My first thought would be reflux.
    But we experienced this for two straight years also, and treated DD for reflux and asthma which were her given Dx's. Turned out she was allergic to cows milk in all forms.
    Got rid of the dairy, no more problems, or asthma. All her symptoms disappeared in 2 days. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree, sounds like it might be a food allergy or could it be a problem with her liver or gall bladder? I would seek medical advice, go to a specialist if needed. It could be something simple or it could be an indication for a bigger internal organ problem. Either way, something is definitely going on and you should look into that.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• To be honest, my first reaction to vomiting that does not seem tied to illness is "allergic reaction." But I have a bias. ;) My DD's primary allergic response to her allergens it to vomit profusely and repeatedly.

Did she eat something new or something she does not usually have? Is this something that has happened before? can you look back over what she's eaten and find a pattern? Did she eat something that may have simply disagreed with her? I sometimes have queasy feelings after eating heavy or greasy foods, for example.

It is, on the other hand, possible that it was just a virus. It does not always accompany a fever.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I, too, am thinking possible food allergy. Especially since she is feeling fine this morning. You can easily test for several food allergies with one quick blood draw. There may be something she is sensitive too that doesn't bother her on a regular basis but can cause her to vomit if she eats a lot at once or a lot over a couple of days. Try to keep track of what she eats to look for patterns of what food proceeds one of these vomitting episodes. The most common culprits are milk, eggs, nuts, soy, shellfish, and wheat but it could be other foods, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• see your dr
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks all. She was fine the next day... I'll be more aware when I feed her broccoli or whatever she ate next time
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2011