Don't say congratulations because......

I am so used to saying congrats when I find out someone is pregnant. However my mom said to me,

"You shouldnt say that to everyone. Heck you shouldn't even say unless you know without a shadow of a doubt that person is happy they are with child. No one planning to have an abortion wants to hear that. Would you?"

Now I have never had an abortion so I cannot fathom how it would feel or if it would make a difference.

So I ask you ladies, is it in bad taste to tell every expecting parent you come across congrats?

**Not bashing abortions or anything, don't know if I need to throw that out there or not.
**I have no idea what category this would even go in, sorry lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't think too many people planning on getting an abortion parade their pregnant status. I think you are pretty safe saying Congratulations.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Oh gosh no one can say anything right. You just can't win. If you ask if they are happy about it, they take that all personal and say "why shouldn't I be" and if you say congrats you are assuming they are happy?? I'm not a mind reader, and unless the person came to me in strict confidence about an unwanted pregnancy, I will congradulate them for their new baby on the way!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I figure either they are telling people,or she's already showing,so abortion probably isn't on the table as a decision at this point
    So,no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• if they are planning on aborting I doubt they will be telling anyone they are pregnant
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would still say congrats, maybe saying it will help that person make a decision and not have an abortion because it shows someone cares.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I tell everyone that announces their pregnancy congrats.. its like a woman with a large belly, you don't just walk up and say congrats, when are you due.. you wait for them to announce it and then congratulate
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Usually if someone shares they are pregnant with you, you know them well enough to know if it is a happy event for them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• When a lady says they are preggo to me, I always ask, are you happy about it? If they are I congratulate them, and if they arnt, I offer to listen to their concerns. Not every lady who is preggo is happy about it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• CONGRATS !!!!
    damionsmommy2

Answer by damionsmommy2 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• @ damionsmommy2

LoL

I always felt that you could get a general sense about wether someone was happy about the baby or not. This smile or glow you know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2011