Cell Phone

We just gave our 13 year old son a phone with texting ability. Now his is texting all the time! No lie, he was on the phone texting for at least 4 hours straight. When asked who he is texting, all we get is "A friend". He is not bringing his homework home. He says he does it at school. We have told him to bring it home even if it is done, but he says "I forgot to bring it home". We took the phone away from him last night and tolds him he does not get it back until he can remember to bring his homework home. Does anyone else have problems with their kids texting all the time? What happened to going to someones house and hanging out? Any suggestions as to how to handel this would be appriciated.

DrewsMom543

Asked by DrewsMom543 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My adult kids are textaholic's!!! I swear kid's under 28 today DONT actually talk to each other but text everything in abbreviations. If they (kids) are our future, we are all doomed!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:42 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We don't believe children should have the responsibility of having a luxury like a cell phone. To them it's fun, not a necessity. They don't realize it costs money to have, and they don't know how to set boundaries. We have a 14 yr old son, and he goes to a very small school here, and he's the only kid in his class without a phone, and he complains from time to time, but we have stood our ground, and he will NOT have a phone until he can help pay for it, and know that it's a privilege to have a phone, not a right. That will be when he has a job, and is driving age.
    Don't give it back, you're just creating more problems than you know. There's a reason why children under 18 can't get a phone without their parents, because they aren't adults, therefore they shouldn't have one. JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Don't let him have have it back until he can be responsible enough to use it correctly and keep up with school work.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Honestly, no 13 year old NEEDS a cell phone. My children did not get them until they were in positions where either they or a friend were the primary drivers and not a parent.

You took the cell phone away - good for you. Now Don't give it back for a long time as he has proven that he is not responsible enough to have one.

Homework - call or email the teachers and work out a plan where they initial a paper with assignments written down or a note saying no homework. That way you KNOW what classes have homework.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have to say that the phone is a powerful force - the threat of having it taken away is a real one and one they respond to. If he is doing his homework as he said, his grades should be good - can you check them? I agree that having a phone is a priveledge and not a right. And as for texting, it is CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY and so not my world. But the reality is that it is the norm for them (sad, I know) and a tool for communication. You can always take away texting and leave the phone service in place too.
    got2boyztoo

Answer by got2boyztoo at 11:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• SD 11 does the same
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:13 AM on May. 25, 2011