Oh what have i got myself into :0 lol

as if i didnt have enough on my plate n enough ppl to clean up after!!! we got a puppy for my 4 and 2 year old my 5 month old doesnt really care for the dog yet she just looks at her like wtf is that thing haha...just another thing to potty train :( hopeully it works out..dont wanna have to give her away but hey if we do down the road she was free i he first place :) hows the best way to potty train a dog?? really really dont wanna have to clean its mess n make our home smell like poop..maybe should of just got them a fish lmao.

mommyof3_21

Asked by mommyof3_21 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pets

• Dogs are MUCH easier to potty train that kid's. LOL Unless allergic having a dog is kinda the American way and all kid's should have one.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Interesting attitude. Hey, if she doesn't work out we'll giver her away!!!! No problem!!! lol

I purposely won't get a puppy (or anything with hair) because it is such a huge responsibility. Maybe you should have thought this one through a bit more.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• that's pretty sad actually - if you do decide to give away this animal, do it now while /he or she's adoptable not when she is a dog or you will basically have to understand you are giving her/him up to be put down.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You have to take a puppy out all the time and watch for sniffing behavior. If the dog goes to teh bathroom outside give lots of praise and a treat. Say the same phrase everytime so the dog knows what it is supposed to be doing. We tell our dog to go do a good boy. When he goes we praise him and give him a treat and say good boy!! WE do make him sit befor giving him his treat. Now he pees and runs to me and sits there waiting for his treat. I recommend crate training as well. THe dog will learn to like the crate if you put him in it every night. When he needs a break from the kids he can go hide in the crate!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's sad that people think they are just expendable. They can just "get rid of them" if they don't work out... Do like the other posters said and give it away now before no one wants a neglected puppy... She will end up in a shelter if you wait to long and then probably end up killed because of space.
    When you take on the responsibility of a dog, or any animal you're making a commitment to them, they rely on you for everything, and love you and your family unconditionally.
    When you potty train her, take her out the same door, after each nap, feeding, and about once an hour to start out so she learns that going out means going potty. You have to be consistent. Just because she was free doesn't mean she was a throw away dog. You should also take her to the vet and have her checked over and get her shots if you haven't already.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yeah, hopefully it works out. You took on the responsibility of this puppy knowing full well what you were getting into before you did it, and if you didn't, then you shouldn't have gotten this pup. If you don't think you are going to be able to keep your forever-home promise to this pup, give her away now as a puppy so that she has a better chance of being adopted.

Sorry if you see this as being harsh, but you have a life here that you are playing with while you are making your jokes about this animal. I'm so tired of people making decisions to bring an animal into their home having no clue what they are getting themselves into.....not realizing that a puppy does not always stay a puppy and that occasionally they will mess on your floor and chew on your furniture.....then once the puppy is no longer a puppy, they give up and get rid of it. It's sad and it's one of the main reasons animal shelters are filled to the gills.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Reality check...it's not your kids dog, it's your dog.
    The puppy will have accidents, it's inevitable. Part of being a pet owner. Take the puppy out every 30 minutes to use the bathroom outside. Everytime it goes, give praise, and bring it right back in. Leaving it outside won't train it.

When I bring a pet into my home, I am making a life long commitment to them. To give them a home, proper care, attention, take them to the vet if they need it, shots, proper diet, and training. If I can't offer those, then I don't do it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Crate train it. A dog won't poop or pee in his crate. Keep him in his crate. When you take him out, take him outside immediately. Wait until he goes. Then he can spend a little time free in the house with supervision. In the beginning it's OK for him to stay in his crate a lot. I really can't believe you could just give away a puppy like that. Poor thing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• first you really need a different attitude about it...we just rescued a puupy last week he is 9 weeks old. we take him out every time we have to puppies go a lot... after he eats we wait 1/2 an hr. and we take him...at night he goes in his crate he would not go in there so he cries for us DH and I take turns we have to just like a baby...for 2 days now we have had 0 accidents and he bark for the first time last time to go outside...he got a treat lol.. just patience and love this is my first pet ever i always refused to even look at them but this time i felt like i was ready... my kids are 4,6&10 so they help a lot!!! good look and lots of patience...
    4reasons2smile

Answer by 4reasons2smile at 11:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Start with a dog cage where pup can stand up and turn a circle-no larger.

Second, take your puppy out frequently.

Third, put puppy on the end of a 10 foot rope in the house so you can keep your sanity and control and supervise puppy at all times. All puppies make an accident , you really need to be there to catch it so the pup can learn right from wrong.

Golden rule-pup should always, always, always be in sight! This might be a helpful potty training clicky for you.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:36 AM on Apr. 12, 2011