If you were president right now , how would you handle all the things going on , like war and poverty

If you could do things differant what would that be and why ?Do you think the president is doing all he can or does he need to get in gear

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that our government is making it pay far too much to be lazy. If I lost my job, I could apply for unemployment and extensions for 2 years, get my education paid for due to the decrease in my income, probably qualify for food stamps and other forms of PA...I would not have much incentive to get off my butt and do anything productive with myself. Currently, my LP and I are being taxed to death on our income and capital gains...so the motivation to "get ahead" is certainly deterred as well.

In my mind, this is quite backward and will not sustain itself. The top tier who is paying the bulk of the taxes will eventually fizzle out with this system...then what? We will have a nation of lazy people with no skills and no work ethic sitting at home wondering wtf happened to hand outs.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would end corporate welfare and farm subsidies. I would support businesses developing alternative energy sources. I would pull out of Afghanistan. I would restore funding to education and police departments. I would create a single payer, universal health care system modeled on the one in San Francisco. I would increase taxes on those earning more than $500,000 a year to the same level at the 1960s, and cut taxes for those earning less than $100,000 a year. Welfare would be replaced by workfare

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Well since Congress actually makes the decisions in regards to those things.. I would do like most all other Presidents, give them my thoughts/ideas, listen to their's and either agree to the bills they lay on my desk or not. Even If I vetoed them, Congress still has the ultimate power to override that veto.. So as President.. I would be the "face", the "figurehead" just like all other Presidents are and have been.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2011