Are breastfed babies more gassy than formula fed ones??

My baby is a little tooter!! ALL day long he toots non stop. I was just wondering if it was cuz he's breastfed or do all babies toot like that?

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 1:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are certain things that YOU eat that will make your baby more gassy...but my guy toots ALL the time, and I haven't been able to find any link to foods I eat, since I eat the same things over and over. My baby also only poops every few days, so when it's getting closer to poop time, he smells REALLY bad...but he never seems to care. He actually seems to enjoy making Mommy's eyes water! :D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• some babies i think are just more gassy in general regardless of being breasfed but you might check your diet it may be giving him alittle more gas then normal. but hey as long as hes passing gas and not crying from it hes probably ok.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Depends on the kid.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 1:26 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Have your doctor give you a list of things that cause gas in breastfed babies. It's a long list, but if you spy something that you eat everyday AND your little guy is uncomfortable, you might want to replace it with something more baby friendly

if your angel is a happy little farter, then i wouldn't worry about it. A little gas never hurt anybody.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:27 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Technically it should be the other way around since breastmilk is easier to digest, but it jsut depends on the kid.
    Anonymous

• Lol he's definitely a happy farter. He's never upset about being gassy. It just cracks me up cuz he farts ALL DAY LONG! My husband is in total awe of our sone.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:41 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I am so happy for you and your husband!! It sounds a lot like my son! He has been a little tooter since day 1. I say he takes after his daddy!! And now his daddy has taught him to giggle after he toots!! Two peas in a pod!
    But I am not sure. I had a friend who asked her doctor about that and he said it could be due to the food that she was eating. It may be causing the baby to have gas!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 1:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Awww thanks Carie!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Farts are normal in all babies. As long as his gas doesn't seem to be bothering him, and he's getting a good amount of burps after his feedings I'm sure he's just a normal little guy.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Adults can be have gas depending on what doesn't agree with their body. If you are eating gassy foods, it will affect him as well. It doesn't hurt him. There is nothing wrong with him. I would rather have him toot all day than get trapped in his tiny tummy.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 2:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008