Anyone keeping up with Japan's crisis?

They have had major earthquakes EVERY DAY for over a month (including, of course, the 9.0 that caused the tsunami)...

We are in Okinawa, Japan (a few hundred miles south of mainland) due to my DH being military, and have had NO issues with earthquakes or tsunamis (thank goodness!). I think we would have been gone a long time ago if we were being affected. Not about to live on this teeny, tiny island if we were in danger.

Anyone know if there could be any major reprecussions (natural ones) for Japan if this continues?

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm doing the best I can to keep up. I watch the news before and after work every day.
    I'm glad you and your family are ok!!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes. My sister in law and nephew have evacuated and moved in till at least May. Her family still there. My brother is still there.
    It's hard to analyze the repercussions because the truth has been slow to be released. I think many ares are looking at decades of loss. Many farmers will not be able to keep their land (near the nuke plant).
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• *are areas*
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's heartbreaking to watch, to read, and to hear about. Everyday I think about the number of tragedies they are living with and through and my heart breaks for them again. The very simplest of comforts they don't have. The need for help is enormous and all we can do is give what we can and hope that it finds its way to the people and the effort to help.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• There is a website that lists all of the recent earthquakes, and there's multiple ones each day. It's so sad!
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes, I have the CNN updates on my iPad and phone. They also raised the level of the nuclear power plant to 7 which is chernobyl level!! I think there will be repercussions... Japan moved some 8 inches with the first quake, and now all of these other smaller quakes, or aftershocks.... Somethings gotta give....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Nope.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:28 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I've been trying to keep up with it most days. They raised the nuclear crisis level from a 5 to a 7 the other day, which means they probably think it will have more long term effects for the area. It's all very sad. :-(
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My sister in law just told me that in japan, their are employment ads for people to work around the power plant (cleanup, etc) over $100/hr can only work 3 hours a day..... MANY applicants... crazy!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• there are..
    grlygrlz2