Should schools ban home-made lunches?

A school not all too ar from me has banned lunches from home.  Do you think this is ok?

http://moms.today.com/_news/2011/04/12/6455349-cafeteria-chaos-school-bans-lunches-from-home-

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 11:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I do not agree with this at all. I am the parent and I should be able to let my kids eat what they want. I can understand having a meeting with parents about what they put in lunches, although in the end it is my decision. With all these rules and controls who is really parenting our kids these days. I mean if I want to let my kid have a happy meal for lunch then I should be able to. I understand they want kids to eat healthier meals although forcing them to eat school lunch is not the solution. The reason why we have obesity in this country is not just because of what we eat. If they are banning home lunches are they going to let the kids have an hour for lunch so they can run around outside and play as well so they are getting exercise?

AS you can see I am TOTALLY AGAINST THIS.  It is so stupid. If it were my school I would fight them all the way.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Most lunches made at home are healthier than the school provided ones. So, no, I don't think it's OK.
    MoversShakers

Answer by MoversShakers at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just saw that on FB. I do not think it is okay in any way, shape, or form.

My DD is VERY picky. She will hardly eat anything. If I can't send her to school with a lunch packed with what I know she will eat, then she won't eat.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Umm...that would be a big, fat, NO. You've got kids with dietary restrictions, due to allergies or religious beliefs. I seriously doubt the school cafeteria is going to actually make sure that those kids eat what is proper for them.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No it's not ok. Kids should be allowed to bring their own lunch. I'm sorry but schools kitchens are not always the cleanest.
    N3yN3y

Answer by N3yN3y at 11:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No, i am pissed they are even considering it! Ban soda don't ban the entire lunch from home!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• NO! Most parents send them due to allergies or wanting their kids to eat healthier than what school lunch provides, or because of finances. All of these reasons are good legitimate reasons for parents to be allowed to send in lunches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No it's HORRIBLE How DARE they try and ban a home made lunch!! Are they going to pay for the kid's lunches themselves? Not all parents can afford to pay for school lunches. This WILL NOT fly at the state court level. Ill bet quite a few parents will claim religious beliefs and what their kid's eat is their right to make their own lunches.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Hahaha look at the picture. Chocolate milk and that dog-food-looking pile of goo is healthier? I remember in the earlier elementary grades I'd sneak most of my school lunch into the trash when the ladies weren't looking. Lunches there improved as I got older...by High School we had salad bar (my favorite), pizza from Dominoes (I'd get it once in awhile), sandwich line (kind of like subway, tell them what you want on it kind of thing), pasta bar, and the hot lunch, which I sometimes enjoyed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I didn't read the link, but that is crazy! A lot of people want to know exactly what their children are eating. And buying lunch everyday is expensive.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on Apr. 12, 2011