Imput PLEASE

Would I be a terrible mom if I had my 5 year old go and stay with my mom, or sister for a few days? Just to get her away from me? Lately she's been doing nothing but breaking me down. I need a break I'm getting too mad to be able to calm down. It's ridiculous! Maybe she'll miss me and be a bit better when she comes home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The "bad" part is where you expect her to "get better" or "be better'. You should do it so that YOU may calm down and work on YOU so you can be a better mom and better able to deal with the issue calmly when she returns.

It's not a bad thing to need a time out if YOU can't handle it.

Understand that she is 5. You are the adult. She WILL act up. You need to remain calm so that she won't feed off of that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Our DS stays with his grandma for a few days every once in a while. Even though I miss him like crazy when he's gone, it's a bit nice to have a few days off. Plus, he gets to see my husbands side of the family with out us intruding on their time together.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I honestly believe every parent deserves a break, wether its a few hrs or a few days, whatever time you need to insure you can keep your cool with your child. Ya know that shaken baby sydrome in alot of cases comes from most parents or others who get broke down and didnt get that break they needed. My first break down was when my son was only 2 weeks old..i left him with his grama and went a hotel for the night. i had to. and theyre were times after i had to do it again. My son is only 3 but ive learned to take that break when i need it, because the only out come of getting too mad or over stressed is verbal or physical harm to you, your child or SO. The lucky ones have nerves of steel, i found out long ago that wasnt me. So dont feel bad for taking a break, it will only help you and your daughter =-)
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think you need a time out not her she's 5. Do it for you not for her. I do know and understand what your going thru cuz I had 1 kid right after the other and the 1st kid was really hyper all ready and influenced her brother to be the same way I had 2 toddlers at home they are 16 months apart. Maybe she just needs to be entertained take some time out of your regular chores and play with her or take her to the park sounds like she has too much energy built up and she needs to release it. It can be hard on a child if they have all this energy and can't burn it off. Remember the more angry you get with her and the more you show her that your getting angry the more she'll feed on that and act up cuz she knows it gets to you.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Go for it. Your NOT a bad Mom for it. Grammy NEEDS one on one grandchild time to!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• LOL...I got a vote down for basically saying the exact same thing everyone else said? Haha
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No not a bad mom. Everyone needs there own time, breaks. It would be better than being mad. She will miss ya im sure. Good luck.
    lwalter87

Answer by lwalter87 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Everyone needs some time now and again, if your time together is less than "quality time" then ship her off. My son (3) told me he was sick of me a few days ago and he wanted to go to Grandmas after a debate about what is appropriate to do with a yo yo. Who knows perhaps your daughter is sick of you to, LOL>
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My sons super hyper as well..one day i would to have the money to buy maybe 2-3 acres of land and build a fence around it, so my son can run,jump,scream,and play till he drops..lol oh one day..
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• its good for kids to spend away from mom don't tell the child that you just want to get away.. but tell him/ or her they are going to spend time with grandma, that you love him/or her & will be back in a few days
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011