When talking to a teen about alcohol what do you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would just tell him to responsible about it. Tell him the risks and dangers to drinking and explain how important it is to not go overboard with it. Cause he's going to do it whether you allow him to or not, so the best thing you can do is educate him on the safety precautions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• never get in the car with any one who he thinks may be high or drunk..that he will never be in trouble with me if he doesnt get home in time because he thinks someone was under the influence and he decided to stay behind. He can always call me and i will come and get him or he can just tell me he is embarrassed and just wants to stay and he would rather me not show up. But no matter what i will never get mad as long as he makes smart choices...even if he has been drinking
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would do research on video's, documentaries on the issue. Show the full blown effects of drinking and driving. Crashes, deaths, the impact of being the one behind the wheel and killing another, or a family. The effects that will leave people unable to walk, talk, eat, etc. I would tell him that drinking and driving is NOT OK. That ANYTIME you have a few.... and or mix with other stuff, pot, pills, etc.... YOU are NEVER OK TO DRIVE. I would offer (as my mom did) if your are going to a party... I WILL TAKE YOU AND PICK YOU UP!!! and your friends. Although parents cannot control what the teen does outside of the home... they can offer to keep them safe. And if they do something anyways THEN THEY WOULD BE CONFINED TO THEIR ROOMS UNTIL 30. School, work, and home... wanna see your friends??? they can come over for a while....LOL
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree with Anon. All you can do is educate..these days unless you are an unruley, extremely over protective,controlling parent (in which case your relationship with your teen probabley sucks) your kid is going to drink alchohol..and you'd be lucky if that is all they try. When ayden is that age i plan on educating him on alchohol and every drug out there, letting him know the affects and the consequences. The big thing is drinking and driving/riding. Thats terrifying to me...i would rather my son know that i would much rather wake up in the middle of night to pick him up drunk than get a call from the police. With this generation i think it will be better to educate and be there for them, than have them think " omg if my parents find out im drinking, theyll kill me" and then follow that with a deadly decision.
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think it all goes back to talking to him about decision making. To me there is a big difference between having a beer or a drink at home or going to a teen party and drinking, or getting a six pack and driving around town with a bunch of friends. If we can teach our kids how to make good decisions whether they have a drink or not won't be a major issue. My disclaimer is I'm not the perfect mom and I've had to deal with this with my oldest before. Where's that parenting manual when we need it? lol.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We have also told them that if they are ever at a party where people are drinking or doing drugs, they can call us to come pick them up and there will be no consequences. If they drink and can not drive, they can call us and we will come get them (though there will be consequences for that the next day, we will not condone binge drinking AT ALL), and that they are NEVER ever to get in the car with anyone who has had alcohol no matter if they think they can drive or not. Even if my DH has one beer, the kids won't let him drive so I feel pretty confident that they at least won't make that mistake. I think that just having an open line of communication without fear between yourself and your teen is a majorly important thing.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Be balanced on it. Let him know that there is nothing wrong with an adult of age consuming alcohol in moderation, because he will see this. Also show him the real side of alcoholism, what it does to the body, your relationships, and your family. Talk about safety, DUI's MADD, etc.
    Tell him how it's ok not to do what everyone else is doing. There are ways of not participating without coming off like a fuddy duddy. And that he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We have a good head start with mine. They spent 3 years in Spain when they were young, so they were taught very very early that alcohol is not for partying, it is to be enjoyed sensibly. We have taken the approach they have in Spain. If your kids are older and want to try a sip of alcohol, let them have a SIP. of wine or beer of course, not mixed drinks. Usually they will decide they do NOT like the flavor and will be unwilling to try it again for a long, long time. Mine each sipped wine and beer and decided they did not like the taste and they have no desire to try it again. We have taught them that here, it is not legal for them to drink before the age of 21 but honestly I don't think most teens care about that lol. We have taught them that binge drinking is very very dangerous. They see us enjoying alcohol in moderation as in a glass of wine or a beer with dinner occasionally. I thinkt hat tteaches them responsibility. CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Look @ me & my failures.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 11:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011