How do you get your kids to behave properly?

motherof2andone

Asked by motherof2andone at 11:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your idea of properly and mine are probably different. You can get the best results by laying down the rules and punishments for breaking them and always being consistent with punishment when they break your rules. You cant give in or they will learn quickly to run all over you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• be constant with your rules & discipline.. don't have to many rules, & be willing to discipline where ever you are.. make the discipline age appropriate.. also teach responsibility by giving chores
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We try very hard to be fair and consistent. We do a lot of explaining and repetition of our expectations...a LOT! We also use punishments and rewards. We try to use more praise than criticism and when an issue arises we really try to meet it head on. We are very firm parents, who do not go along with things because so and so let their child have this or do that.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It starts way before 5 years of age and it just takes constance work from there on. It's no fun being the bad person in your children eyes but without that you don't have order.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I let my son deal wihe consequences to a lot of things as long as its safe. Ex. If he wakes the baby he must rock baby back to sleep and listen to her cry. If he keeps changing his clothes he has to help with laundry. If he makes a mess in the kitchen I hand him the rag.
    If my son throws a fit I tell him to go to his room bc we don't want to hear it.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 12:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011