How much should I feed my 6 month old?

My son is 6 months old and I am ready to start feeding him baby cereal and baby food. I was wondering how much I should feed him and how many times a day should I be feeding him? I was thinking about feeding him baby cereal with some baby food/fruit mixed in with it.

urbuttacup88

Asked by urbuttacup88 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my baby on rice cereal once a day for breakfast for about a week. Then I added a veggie for dinner time the following week.The third week I added in a lunch of a fruit or a baby yogurt or a veggie.
    Now...this is our schedule with solids
    *Baby Oatmeal+Fruit for breakfast
    *Baby Yogurt OR Fruit for lunch (he doesnt seem super hungry at this time of day)
    *Container of Veggie+Container of fruit for dinner
    He is 6 1/2 months old..I started solids around 5 1/2 months
    He doesnt always eat all that..I don't force it, if he's not interested , its no big deal.I just make sure to offer to nurse or takes a bottle often.
    Have fun! :
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My dr had me start with 2tbl of cereal and increase every couple days by the end of the week give as much as they want.
    Just remember to wait 4 day in between each new food if you are worried about allergies. Some studies are showing that that is not necessary but I did it just to be safe.
    Start Orange veggies then Green, then fruit. That is just how my Dr recommended your Dr maybe different.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You can do cereal if you want, but I suggest something like banana, avocado or sweet potato as a first food. All 3 of those can be pureed, fork mashed, or cut to bite size pieces for self feeding. In the first year, you should nurse/feed bottle FIRST, then offer solids. Start with a few bites once a day or every few days, and follow baby's lead from there.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011