What would you suggest as a punishment for cursing in a toddler?

The habit was picked up from grandparents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Slap the grandparents. A toddler doesn't know any better.
    Anonymous

• clockG and Gma in the notty spot!

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• In a toddler, ignore it. When mine would say something like "s**t" I would pretend I didn't understand them and use a rhyming word, like "Did you say spit? Ewww that's gross". I would confuse them and it worked. I think with this age group if you tell them something is bad, they're going to be tempted to get that reaction out of you more often.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• by the way.. my husband's old army chaplain told us whenever he or his wife slipped up around their young kids, they would quickly say "peanut butter" after it. for some reason all the kids would repeat is "peanut butter" because its the last thing they heard.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just tell my kids not to say that and that it's a bad word that only adults say but it is wrong to say. My toddler now corrects me and says "Mommy, don't say that" because I have corrected her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• The first time I don't punish. I just told her that she's not allowed to say that word and only adults are allowed. If she kept doing it when she knows it's wrong, then I punish her. I take away a toy. But don't punish the first time they do it cause they don't know. They just think they learned a new word.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have a hard time punishing a toddler for coping thing that he has seen and heard adults do...mainly b/c that is how children learn, by watching and listening. Its really not the childs fault.

How about having a nice talk with the grandparents about controlling their mouth around your child.

Then maybe ignore the toddler when he says it and hope it goes away.

But I say stop the problem before it starts!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• vbruno...you are going to make a toddler get soap in his mouth for coping something his own grandparents said? HARSH and not very logical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• you don't punish a toddler for cursing. after all, they picked it up from someone, so if anything the adult who said it around them should be punished. if you hear the word, tell them no, that's a bad word and we don't say that. simple as that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My husband agrees with the soap punishment. It does seem a bit harsh to me, but it's all in how you were brought up and what worked for you. I wouldn't do it personally, but I'm not judging anyone else. Each child responds differently to things. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Toddlers don't fully understand what they're saying. I'm the first to admit I need to watch my potty mouth around my little ones...ha!
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011