Public vs Private schools

My daughter has attended private school most of her short school career. Recently we had a major issue with her private school and moved her over to public school. She is WAY ahead of them and waiting to be tested for the GT program. She is MUCH happier in the public school but does complain about how easy the work is.(It is all stuff she did last year) I really don't want to skip her. I have been looking at other private schools but she is in school with her neighborhood friends for the first time ever and loving it. Should I take that into consideration and leave her where she is or should I take the fact that she is not challenged at ALL into consideration and continue looking at private schools for next year?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was a gt child in a public school. My ease became laziness and by the time I had to work I was not really that motivated to do it. Homework felt like a waste to me. On the other hand stability, happiness and positive social experiences stick to you alot longer than algebra. Perhaps you leave her where she is for now and look for signs she is taking short cuts/not participating due to boredom and suppliment with classes/extra curriculars/summer programs. Transition her back into private school for Junior High when academics becomes more crucial to future advancement
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• A few things come to mind - is she ahead because she's truly gifted or ahead because the materials in her old school were farther along? If it's the later, she may level off with her public school peers and the whole "we did this already" will become a non-issue. If it's the former, see if their G/T program helps her and is it enough?

Personally, I think school is about more than just academics. Academics is the most important facet, surely, but it's not the only one. I'd take into account the full picture and make sure what you're seeing now is really a long term issue and not a short-term hurdle.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• If she loves the private school don't they have someone to talk to about the program. I went to the director to get my daughter in rather than wait. I remember her teacher doing special activities with her to keep her stimulated until the transition was made. Many times you just need to explain the importance to get them moving sooner rather than later.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• She is truly gifted. She has tested for GT programs in other schools but she has to retest at this school. Her reading level is well above 2nd grade. The last time she tested was in first grade and she tested at a ninth grade reading level and fourth grade math level. Her vocabulary scores were crazy high as well. Her spelling is better than many adiults.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Very difficult to balance school AND socializing. While she loves the public school, she's not being challenged enough (which could start causing problems with behavior..."I'm bored, lets see what I can get away with" type things).

Definitely weigh your options, get her involved in the decision if you feel she can help with deciding what's best for her.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We do private but not all private schools are equal. Many private schools in my area are no better or worse than some of the local public schools. You be the judge if this one year is going to impact the rest of her life academically. Will she not get accepted to Harvard because she was with her friends and for one year she was ahead of her class? If yes, switch. If no, then let her stay. You can request the teacher e-mail you her lesson plans a week ahead of time. Go deeper. Explore at home the things for that week in a way that covers more or challenges conventional wisdom of what is in the book. For example: Chris Columbus did not die poor, he was rich and well known when he died. He also knew America was there and was deliberately looking for slaves, resources, gold to fund wars and build up arms. Also the idea Africans visited the S. Americas before any European did. Explore what isn't taught and on any topic
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• and discuss it in depth. Her teachers may appreciate a well thought out challenge and the extra effort. We do this already and my son is in preschool. It is about exploration - all learning is. Let her explore it more while she has some extra time. If she completes assignments ahead of time in class she can do different more advanced searches on relevant topics for that week.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2011