Can't see I to I with the Mother-n-law? What helps you?

My mans Mother is ToTaLlY different than me and there are times when I think she's just Crazy.... I have trouble even being around her or talking to her on the phone at times... i hate to have a hurdle i simply can't jump! SOS!!! oh yeah, it's his mommy so there is NO talking to him about any of it.....UGH!!

jayme009

Asked by jayme009 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm lucky that my husband sees her for what she is and is completely on my side but I have found that the best way to deal with her stupidity is plain and simple avoidance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Boys and their mums hey, wonder if it will be the same with our boys and their girlfriends?!
    mum-to-a-cutie

Answer by mum-to-a-cutie at 11:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just finally gave up,and let my MIL talk any way she wanted about me. I knew it wasn't true, DH knew it wasn't true,and if it helped her to bad mouth me, mainly to the person she looked at in the mirror, then ok. She's dead, now and I don't want to speak ill of her. She never thought I was good enough for her son, and never missed an opportunity to tell me,and my Mom. That's really all I'm gonna say about her.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i feel ya. fortunately, my husband knows how diff her and i are and how crazy controlling she is. she likes to try to to everyone what to do and how to do it. so i had my husband pass om to her that she better never tell me how to be a mother and raise my child because it wont go over well
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 12:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I forgot to mention that she is on the 'promiscuous' side... and raised both of her sons around a pretty big number of 'men'... i am so worried that will also affect my child as it did her sons For Sure!!
    jayme009

Comment by jayme009 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• WOW!!!...I just stopped talking to my MIL...was sick of her constantly saying they had NO money..(lie)..when i cashed their checks(soc.sec..) 4yrs ago his was $1,000 for the month of Nov..that was in Dec...how the hell can ANY one hold onto that much money for a whole month and lie to your son and DIL.!!!...last year was the same in Oct. i cashed checks from Sep..they held onto.....
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 12:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Bumped you baby!!!
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 12:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• huggingMe and my MIL love each other, sorry!

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Whenmy MIL and I don't see eye to eye on something I think that's ok. I figure that if it is something about my life (my relationship, the way I raise my child, etc) then she can disagree with me all she wants but it is ultimately my choice. She doesn't have to like it, and I can sit quietly and hear her opinion and still go on and do what I think is best. If it's about her life then she's a grown up and she can do what she wants. Now obviously there is the gray area in which she wants to do what she wants to do when she is watching my kids and that's where I do pull rank as the Mommy sometimes. It's not ok for her to smoke in the house if my child is over, for example, or just because she spanked her kids doesn't mean she can spank mine. So for those things she can still disagree but if she can't respect my wishes then she can't watch my kid without me there. I think that's all very reasonable, and my MIL is reasonable, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2011