Can a doctor order you a prescription(not a regualar prescrip) without examining you?

I've heard some people say that the doctor told them not to go in for a UTI, Bronchitis, Pink eye, etc. and they were given a prescription to treat it over the phone. How can a doctor diagnose something without looking at it or running any tests? Some things can get dangerous if not properly diagnosed the first time. I guess IMO it seems very unprofessional of a doctor to prescribe and diagnose over the phone based on what a person who isn't a doctor says.

I'm not saying a doctor has never called a prescrip over the phone....I'm just referring to mostly infections, etc.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Health

• Our pediatrician will order pink eye meds over the phone. I am an experienced mom and we have had pink eye many times, the nurse always asks all of the appropriate questions, so verify that is what it is. So I feel that is pretty safe.

One time when I was newly pregnant with my youngest, I got a terrible UTI, I was in SO much pain. I called my midwife and told her what was going on. I didn't have insurance yet, so I was worried about going in. She did give me a script over the phone. She asked about every symptom and felt safe calling it in.

I think if people have dealt with the issue before and they are questioned like they would be in the office, it is a waste of resources to have t be seen by the doctor.

Now if there is ANY question about the symptoms, they should be seen by the doctor first.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Some Dr's are just like that with some things. Most are greedy bastards wanting to see you to get the $$ even though they dont need to see you for it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have a couple of times. Never for my kids, just me - because my doc knows how I get sinus infections, and knows that if I have one, I have one, she doens't need to verify it. She also knows I have to be really really bad to even call. So a couple of times in the past she has called in an antibiotic prescription for me.
    Anonymous

• I have had a billion UTIs so if i tell my doc I have one they just write it up no questions asked. I think once you've had it enough you know what it is and the chances you are wrong as so slim they would just rather be done with it
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have had chronic UTI's and they never did that. In fact it was a good thing I went in one time. The burning I was having, which I thought was a UTI was actually a kidney stone and a huge ovarian cyst.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't see the doctor for UTI's but I at least pee in a cup and get tested for it before they prescibe anything. We see the LPN, she costs a lot less. And based on the bacteria levels in the urine, they can decide what meds will be best. If you use the same thing every time it stops working.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yeah I can call and get antibiotics for me or someone in my home if they know one of us already has strep throat. Matter of fact they ask sometimes if I want a script for me when DD gets it. Because I always catch it too.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2011