How to feed my 2yo picky eater healthily?

She only REALLY eats when I place a divided appetizer platter out with various snack foods in it. I feel like I'm feeding a cat or something, just letting the snacks hang out while she "grazes". I can't set out anything that requires refridgeration so no healthy yogurt, cheese, etc. I've scoured the grocery store for the healthiest snacks, but I would really love her to eat fresh fruits, vegetables and meat! She's only 25 pounds! My firstborn is the total opposite, so I'm thrown for a loop!

goldenmamma

Asked by goldenmamma at 1:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You stop putting out the food so she cant graze. If you feed her that way then she wont ever stop because itll become a habit and its a bad one to get into. Feeding her several small meals a day is a better option and give her an extended amount of time to eat. My son was that way and I would just give him gogurt which he can walk with, and cheeses and fruits etc. I would leave it out about 30 minutes. If he didnt eat it by then it got put away until later. Eventually she will figure out she has a set amount of time to eat and will eat.
    Anonymous

• Definately stop the grazing. Set up a feeding schedule. At breakfast if she does not eat, take it away -- and make her wait for snacktime. If she chooses not to eat at snack take it away and wait for lunch. She may not start eating, but she will realize that it is not going to be always available so she will begin to snack when you have meals better, and eventually eat a meal. My kids are natural grazers too. They just want one snack after another. But they need to eat their meals to get snacks, and eat their snacks at the snack ""time"" not all afternoon
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008