Everywhere but here?

Curious if anyone else has noticed this. CM is only one of the places I discuss politics. Other places are more intimate, in that they are smaller groups and better acquainted with each other. They are just as firmly entrenched in the debate, however. Except, recently, the die-hard dems, the ones who fought tooth and nail to defend HCR, Cap & Trade, taxes on the rich, and Obama in general, have recently started to shift. They aren't becoming Independants or Republicans - they are still die hard Dems. But they are die hard Dems who despise Obama and the job he's done.

Why is it everywhere else I go, whether it's a small community based around another topic that also discusses politics, or one that exists specifically to discuss politics, the tide has turned? Only here, it seems, are there still devout Obama fans. At the same time, only here, are the standards the absolute lowest in terms of presenting and understanding an argument, so I can chalk some of it up to that, but that can't explain all of it (can it?). What explains this divide between main-stream liberalism that appears everywhere else and the more reactionary debate that surfaces here - is it really people so determined to disagree with those they don't like they'll willingly take an indefensible position?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Don't really discuss it on this forum. I belong to a "men's forum", and Politics are discussed so much better there, WITHOUT the drama of here.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I see the dislike of others creating people taking indefensible positions on both sides. It's not just a blue disease.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I find a lot of women on CM talking about/asserting their belief in/admitting to LOTS of things that most people I know in my day-to-day real life don't. There's a lot of folks on the fringe here, so to speak. I suppose that would also include the politically inclined.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• At the same time, only here, are the standards the absolute lowest in terms of presenting and understanding an argument, so I can chalk some of it up to that, but that can't explain all of it (can it?). WHAT? I agree with Lili- You see what you want to see. Maybe it'as all in your approach to this section, IDK-I'm an Independent and what bothers me is the my way or the highway approach. I'm all for trimming entitlements and closing loopholes. Why is it that so many can not appreciate areas of gray? Where I disagree with some is that Obama has this predetermined evil plan to annihilate America and American Democracy. In addition, Obama=Bush, IF 1 is evil, so is the other. Puppets, one and all.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think people here want so desperately to put others into neat, tidy packages. I've never supported Obama, but would still prefer what he has to offer over anything, any conservative could put forth.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree with you. All the people I know IRL and a couple other forums are liberal democrats, and do not like Obama. Most voted for him. They are beginning to see the difference between liberal and progressive/liberal.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

Both sides do like to make generalizations about the other. You are certainly guilty and I know I have been.
    Anonymous

• I thought this article was interesting!  Among women, the trend is if you're single, you tend to vote Democrat, if you're married you tend to vote Republican.  On CM we know there is a large population of young and single mothers--and like the article says, they tend to gravitate more towards the candidate who is going to GIVE them something (at least those are teh kinds of political questions I see most often or the reasons many still stick up for Obama)! 

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/polls/2004-08-25-female-vote_x.htm

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I really don't know, everyone I know IRL that liked Obama or loved him, still do. The only person I've seen change just a bit is my brother and that's mainly because he is a postal worker in cleveland and the recent state union protests just sent him over the edge to find out he was basically getting the shaft from the Feds and was a model employee for almost 30 years. The state union workers greed just pushed him into an Independent way of thinking. IMO, 95% of the people on CM are bullshitters and liars especially when it comes to the Obama issue.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Lori, I am married, far more secure than I was as a singleton. I have more to lose, and am in a more taxable position than I was.

When I was young and single, I voted hard core R. Now, as a married person secure, for the most part, in where life is headed, and with a lot more in the way of taxable assets, I tend to vote more D. Although as an I, I vote whomever I want, and have no ties to any party loyalties. I love that - my family is hard core R, and find me and my moderate-liberal social ideas, with the same on fiscal matters, really disturbing. I have been disowned several times, LOL.

You would think, as I become more prosperous, I would hang on with both hands - but I was ok with higher taxes. Both personally, and with my business. As a singleton, I got NO govt handouts. Not one. I would not have thought of it.

My DH is the same way. We both voted for Obama. McCain's choice of Palin scared us both.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011