With soaring gas prices, what are some innovative ideas to save money?

The rising gas prices have pulled the people in my neighborhood together. We have started carpools to the supermarket. The idea is catching on, since so many moms have minivans, we have been taking orders from our neighbors. Each mom has a list, the 2 people that go shopping for the rest, write the # (address) on each bag. So far, we've done this for 3 weeks. It works well! 

What are some ideas that you all have come up with?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• I make my own laundry detergent and household cleaners.....for those pooling together you could easily make large batches of the detergent to give to everyone. 1 3.5 gallon batch costs about $3 to make and lasts 1 family about 6-8 months (the same detergent can be used as a dishwasher detergent as well)! Household cleaner: 50/50 of water and white vinegar, you can add several drops of tea tree oil for extra anti-bac power, but buy a gallon of vinegar, mix with a gallon of water and you can fill into spray bottles and distribute to the other families. Baking soda with water will clean toilets, tubs, sinks, stove tops, ovens....

Hang laundry instead of running dryer, unplug small appliances, computer and tv's and their components as well as chargers when not in use.

Perhaps start a community garden so those that contribute get weekly produce at no charge, use rain barrels to collect water for the plants...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Sounds like a great idea..you wont impulse shop that way either.
    Make sure you have the proper air in your tires and car tuned up.
    Ride your bike...get a basket.
    Learn to can and freeze. I want one of those big freezers.
    I hang dry lots of clothes...maybe dry for 10 minutes and then hang em up.

Anonymous

• Order things online, where you can also get a lot of products at cheaper prices.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i only make 1-2 trips to town i don't go anywhere unless i absolutly have too.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Meal planning. I meal plan for one-two weeks so that I know exactly what I am buying from the store and I don't have to go as often. This probably saves us at least $50-$100 a month on groceries.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I haven't owned a car in over 20 years. I have no need for one where I live.. Living without a car has saved me 10's of thousands of dollars over the years.

I know that many do not live in areas in which living without a car is possible. Thanks to the oil companies/car companies and their lobbies, Most of America has been developed so that one must rely on a car to get around. Which this type of dependence is going to become more and more of a strain (financially) for many families in this country.

Every time I see gas prices, I give a little thanks that I do not have to buy it and toss a little hope out that things will not be as tough (for so many) as I fear it is going to be the next couple of decades.

For those of you that are being impacted far more than I due to rising gas prices.... I wish you all the best and put some hope into the universe for the future...
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2011