ARE YOU A MOM WHICH CAN ACCEPT THE CRUMBS OR NOT, FROM YOUR TEEN OR ADULT CHILD?

combing Last night I had a Son and Mom Date Night. My 20 year old son and I have been butting heads for many reasons lately (check out my journal for full details @ csjoy1). Anyway, I suggested us going to dinner, of which he was excited about and called it "Mom and Son Date Night" since it had been a while since we had been out together. Anyway, @ dinner my son is texted that his friend - girl (not girl friend) is coming with a gift for him since she gets off work and is close by. Much to my surprise, I decided to enjoy the rest of our dinner and conversation, which was so delightful and not ruin the night by displaying a mom hissy-fit over someone crashing in on my parade! So I opted for the Crumbs, which were quite tasty and allowed for our mom and son date night to end early. I also opted out of going to the movies not cause I was disappointed, but simply cause nothing I wanted to see was playing and smiled as I drove myself home - OMG!!!

Mom's of Late teens or Adult children (son's or daughter's), would you or have you been in a similar situation and did you, or would you accept the Crumbs of the night of the two-some or would you be upset and let them know about the dissappointment of the original agreement? CRUMBS OR NO CRUMBS THAT'S THE QUESTION....FEEL FREE TO TELL YOUR SIDE OF THE STORY? csjoy1 BUMP UP PLEASE???

driving

csjoy1

Asked by csjoy1 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i would have took the Crumbs; just like you did:)
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son is 14 and is a total mommy's boy. I honestly couldn't imagine him cutting our date nights short. But I am happy you are so happy with the way you handled your situation =)
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I must be out of touch or something, but what are CRUMBS? I thought your question was going to be about cookie crumbs or something, but not thinking it is.....
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Dear AllAboutKeeley? CRUMBS , TEENS AND ADULT KIDS UNFORTUNIATELY ARE NO LONGER THE APPLE OF MOMMY, THEY GROW UP TO HAVE FRIENDS, OTHER INTEREST, AND GIRLS OF COURSE...OR BOYS...LOL! (laugh out loud). My son was a typical "mommy's boy", his choice, then he grew up and I'm below 2nd fiddle, it's life...quite normal. Crumbs in this story refers to the fact that my "mom and son date", which he was so up for, and cancel other friends out of that evening to devote to just "he and I" like old times, however, a girl texted him, naturally, and he's smitten by her currently, and I had the choice to opt out gracefully take the evening, which was quite enjoyable for what it was, or I could have ruined it with display of acting like a teenage jealous girlfriend, as moms often do when their child is suddenly won over by a girl or boyfriend over mommy.

csjoy1

Comment by csjoy1 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would have handle it the way you have. I have a 16yr old and I'm lucky I still get plenty of time with him, we do lunch dates and movies and spend hours talking at night, he even makes his friends and girlfriend hang out our house most times.
    I worry when he goes off to college how all these things might change, particularly his time for mom....but I will take what I can get. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• blessedwboysx3 - You bring back memories to me - those precious Kodak moments which will forever be in-stilled - magnafied 3x in my heart and mind. 16 for me too were still precious and special....however, shortly there after, when it came to girls...which he's a magnet...(got mama's looks no doubt - LOL!) just came into gear. I've been told that after 25 it kicks back into gear, like it use to be, however, provided his honey, girlfriend, or wife is in agreement. The issue of boys, is they get a wife and in my sibbling - one brother, my mom lost her son to his wife and her family being top preference. So I'm hoping to be liked should he marry someday, or whatever. But I had my precious years with him, and that's better than not at all...from birth, you know?

csjoy1

Comment by csjoy1 (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't consider that "CRUMBS". I consider that being the parent of normal older teen/adult child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Being that I only got to have dinner with him, in my story it is the phrase of crumbs, references the very best part....cause it was better than nothing.   From the emotional stand point of view, with Teens or Adults, crumbs may be all we can get, which is to say, in the past I would blown it  and have.. ruining a perfectly wonderful get-to-gether...  You see even Mama's got to mature and grow up too!   csjoy1

csjoy1

Comment by csjoy1 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would accept the "crumbs" because as children grow up,they will need us less. It means we did something right:) when they become independent adults with full lives.
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 2:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i would say this is our night and no she cannot bring the gift because it ewill get into our private time alone and i think it is important for children and parents to have time together.
    divakay3

Answer by divakay3 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011