My 10 week old has been eating every 3 hrs. He now wants 4 or 5 oz. Shouldn't he be srpeading this out? He's not overweight, but is hungry all the time. Sometimes he even wants to eat every 2 hours. Since he is eating this much and not appearing very satisfied for long could it be that he is ready for cereal? I know that it is early, but it doesn't seem like the formula is tiding him over for very long.

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 1:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby does that too. My doctor called them "cluster feedings". He said it's when they're having a growth spurt. Ask the pediatrician if you can start introducing cereal into his diet.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You can try adding some rice or oatmeal cereal to his feedings. That is what I did with all of mine and it helped alot. Not alot though, you can add maybe a teaspoon or two to his bottle if you can find a large enough nipple for it to come through on. I remember with my first I was like omg shes too young and my grandma suggested I do what i just suggested. I finally gave in and she slept through the night. It was awesome! She also stopped feeding non stop which was also great because I felt like a human pacifier.
    Anonymous

• No, dont give him cereal yet. Thats way too early.

make the formula thicker. Add 1 or 2 more spoons and it will help. Thats what we did with our daughter. As soon as the formula is a little thicker your little one will be stuffed for longer. :)

And every few weeks the baby has the growth spurt, means they eat more. this will last a couple days and then they will eat normal again.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Babies either neither milk or formula, for their developing brains. They need the fat is in the milk. If you give him cereal then of course he not receiving the fat necessary to develop his brain. Babies go through growth spurts. When do babies have growth spurts?

Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don't read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently.

Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 1:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Growth spurts don't stop after the first year - most moms notice growth spurts every few months during the toddler years and periodically thereafter on through the teenage years.

How long do growth spurts last?

Growth spurts usually last 2-3 days, but sometimes last a week or so.

What is the best way to handle a growth spurt?

Follow your child's lead. Baby will automatically get more milk by nursing more frequently, and your milk supply will increase due to the increased nursing. It is not necessary (or advised) to supplement your baby with formula or expressed milk during a growth spurt.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/05_growth_spurt.htm
    Alma_C

• I just don't think it is a growth spurt, he has been at this for several weeks now
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 2:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• http://www.zerotothree.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ter_key_brainFAQ

Brain development is most sensitive to a baby's nutrition between mid-gestation and two years of age.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 2:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• SOmeone told me to add a but of cereal to his formula???
    expectoct

Answer by expectoct at 2:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• He's too young for formula. I would just increase his milk intake. Wouldn't you rather contribute to his brain development, instead of just adding calories. This is the same reason once a child turns one, they recommend to either continue breastfeeding or give them whole milk instead of low fat milk. The fat is what they need to continue developing their brains.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 2:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Those are just average on when to expect a growth spurt and for how long. Babies make up their own rules.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 2:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008