Do you feel like sharing a story from teaching your teen to drive? Good, bad, scary, wet pants inducing stories all welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My kids aren't that old, but here's one from when I was learning (yes, I know, not what you asked, but it may be helpful to others!). My parents have a mini-van with running boards, and my dad took me to a local college parking lot (summer break, lot was empty) to practice. This particular lot had a LOT of little curbed, grassy areas around the light poles...and I drove up on one by accident and got the van hung up on a running board. So, don't take your kid to a parking lot that has curbs, especially if you have low running boards!
    Anonymous

• here's one from my experience. my kids arent old enough right now. i was taking a behind the wheel driver's test and i can't make sharp turns for nothing, the instructor told me to pull into the parking lot and as i did, i drove up on a grassy curb like pp was talking about and then almost rammed into a car in the parking lot. Talking about turning, i couldnt turn on a highway when i was at a stoplight and the car went up on the sidewalk. ugh!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son went to park at a gas station and drove the car up over the curb into the grassy area at the bank. Other than that I don't have any other experiences to really speak of.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• When I was first teaching my daughter to drive it was like being on Disneyland's "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride". We'd drive around parking lots and on side streets and she didn't seem to understand the concept of slowing down before going around corners. And she'd get really close to other vehicles and then swerve away from them at the last minute. When I'd correct her, she'd laugh. I ended up having her dad take her out because he's the calmer of the two of us. She took her test and passed last month so my husband must been better with her than I was.
    cege

Answer by cege at 2:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011