My baby is been throwing up after her bottle, what could it be?

My 7 1/2 month daughter is been throwing up her formula after each feeding. During the day she throws up about a quarter of what she ate and at night she throws up everything. I went to the doctor yesterday, she ruled out stomach bug because her diarrhea is not consistent and gets better. She told me to try soy based formula, she maybe developing a lactose intolerance, but that didnt work either shes still throwing up. Now i really dont know what to do and what could it be.

Kglick27

Asked by Kglick27 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be acid reflux or a problem with her stomach sphincter that some babies have when they are born.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• relux??
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Its possible she is allergic to her formula and needs a special one. Or, depending on her age, perhaps the formula is too thin? If she's at least 4 months, try thickening it with a teaspoon of baby rice cereal per 4 oz of formula.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Shes almost 8 months. She had an issue throwing up when she was 2 months old too but it gotten better and now it came back again. We tried putting rice cereal with her formula too and that didnt help either.
    Kglick27

Comment by Kglick27 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my DD had this problem. She had acid reflux. The doctor said to sit her up a little at an angle and then only feed her a little at a time. yeah the baby will get mad but its what you gotta do.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my son had reflux and had to be on the similac sensetive formla with the rice added to it, it helped him some but he also has a prescription for zantac GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would take her back to the doctor and mention reflux. My 4 month old daughter has reflux really bad. When she was first born it took us 3 weeks to figure out what was wrong. But she has silent reflux. She didn't throw anything back up. It came back up, but she would swallow it back down causing her to have sever stomach aches and crying all hours of the day. She is now on Enfamil AR. It helped there for a long time, but we recently had to take her back because her reflux came back. Now she is on Zantac twice a day.
    Alisha0810

Answer by Alisha0810 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My kids didnt have reflux but had very sensitive stomachs, we had to put them on enfamil gentlease. Its not soy but a little lighter on their stomach. How long has your daughter been on the different formula? Is the throwing up the exact same?? It takes a couple days for them to get used to something different, when we switched my son to gentlease I was worried when he was still spitting up, it wasnt as much, but he was and I called the doctor and thats what she told me. To give it a couple days with the new one, and once he got used to it he was perfectly fine.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We switched her to elemental formula, so she's taking nutramigen and she's fine. I guess she just developed a cows milk protein allergy. Her doctor is still weirded about it that she developed it so late. She's almost 8 months old
    Kglick27

Comment by Kglick27 (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2011