My 2.5 year old DD throws tantrums over everything!!

I need help! I live in an apt and I feel like everyone can hear me when I yell at her all the time. And when we are outside and she's not getting her way (like walking up the stairs by herself) then she starts throwing a fit and I cant be like AHH STOP! but I want to! Idk what to do in general. She does this with just about anything. And her throwing fits is like automatic. I think she just wants the attention but it's like she gets too much attention. She's becoming a brat. How do I stop the tantrums effectively??

Also, when she starts to throw a tantrum sometimes she says "I need to go to Timeout" and I'm like okay...you didn't do anything you just need to stop crying over that. But whatever I let her go anyway. She gets that from daycare. I stopped doing the timeout because it doesn't do anything for her.

I feel like I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong!! Please help :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is like this as well and we put him in a chair to calm down. When he is done we ask him a few question. #1 what did you do that was wrong? #2 what would you do dif next time? #3 what do you say to mommy (sorry)? #4 praise him and hug him. the key is staying calm talking softly and ignoring them, after a few days or week she will start to get the idea.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My 2.5 year old son does this. I've learned to ignore it as long as he isn't hurting himself or anyone else. I simply walk away, even in public (I don't go far and I keep an eye on him OF COURSE) but for example if we're in the store and he throws a fit, I'll pull the cart to the side and walk a few feet away acting like I'm shopping and don't hear him (it also works for staring stangers and I can act like he's not my kid LOL) If we're walking and he throws himself on the ground like he likes to do as long as we're not in the street or a parking lot I'll let him lay there and wait for him to finish. After a few seconds he stops. Usually. But the tantrums seem to be subsiding quicker so I think he is finally starting to realize his tantrums get him nowhere and I could care less (when really I'm FUMING). Just keep your cool and act like it isn't bothering you. Eventually she'll get the hint!! GL!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Who cares what others think
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2011