When potty training, was your child afraid to sit on his/her potty?

I've just started introducing the idea of potty-training to my 17 month old. I've read up on all the "signs" to begin potty training and she definitely seems ready. Everytime I go to "potty", she comes too and I show her how to sit on her potty and tell her that's wear she "pee-pees" she will repeat after me, "potty peepee" (pointing at her potty as she says it) but she jumps off the potty as soon as I sit her there, screaming like she's scared to death and pees on the floor. She'll say "uh-oh" like she knows it was wrong but refuses to sit on her potty. I don't know what to do. Is she not ready? Am I doing something wrong? (It's a plastic Saftey 1st brand potty...not sure if the pottyhas anything to do with it). Thanks for any advice!

brittanybishop

Asked by brittanybishop at 1:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Two more out of the box ideas:
    She might actually just feel weird because the sensation of controlled peeing is weird. If its in the budget bring her to the store and put a bunch of them on the floor and have her "test" them with clothes and while you are there buy a little trinket and tell her its to celebrate her first pee in the potty to get over the initial anxiety.

You can also try to use the existing potty and get creative, what does your daughter like and how can you make it part of the potty routine? I got a blue tub marker once when my son went through a stage of hating the tub and made three paw prints and we played blues clues--wow Blue wanted him to take a bath and he did and was never scared again.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son was afraid of his potty also....so what we did was buy one of those portable toilet seat that go on top of a real toilet. I think those are better for the kids b/c eventually they are going to be sitting on the real toilet anyway. They also come in different cartoon characters.
    AngieAng12

Answer by AngieAng12 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• she was afraid of the big one but that is because her dad *roll eyes here* let her fall in
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son was at first but now his over that he still hasn't went per on it but he will sit on it naked without crying
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Zoejains mamma that's funny
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 1:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2011