My 3 year old doesn't listen to anyone about anything!

I need major help! My 3 year old doesn't listen to anyone about anything! He has the worst attitude ever! He doesn't listen to me or my husband. He usually spends one night with my parents over the weekends and he doesn't listen to them either! If he doesn't get his way or you tell him no he pitches a fit, screams, throws stuff, kicks stuff, hits stuff, and anything else he can think of doing. It seems that no matter what punishment we do, it doesn't work. Talking to him, explaining to him, taking away fun time, making him sit down or even lay down in his bedroom..it doesn't work. Even when we spank him, he laughs! He thinks it's funny to get in trouble! I am wondering if maybe I need to talk to his doctor about this because he has been like this for almost 2 years and he just keeps getting worse and worse! I am at my wits ends. I just don't know what to do.

Alisha0810

Asked by Alisha0810 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• * hugs* have you tried any love and logic parenting? This gives very clear consistent guidelines.. AND if offers the child to make more decisions which at this age is what this testing and fits are a lot about - control!! -and he wants it ALL - I took a love and logic class with my husband because our son is "Strong willed" which is another area you could explore in the books/Dr's advice because that has also been very helpful for us. * good luck, I know its hard *
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• He's just testing you. Crazy thing, he'll probably get very clingy at 4 yrs old lol. My new just went from testing-the-parents 3 to 4 & his little brother just turned 3 & he literally JUST started misbehaving, talking back, really testing & finding out his limits. I ignore them or stick them in the old high chair strapped in then ignore him for a couple hour. They usually just sit there mad, screaming, hitting the table then fall asleep. Lol
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We definitely have a strong willed child. She's very likely to disobey if you don't follow a consistent routine. It is a hard thing. Make sure you and your husband are on the same page. If you don't, it will be twice as hard later.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2011