Antibiotics for an ear infection?

I've read in multiple places online that ear infections will usually clear up on their own, without the use of antibiotics. They say antibiotics usually only cut down the "sick" time by one day. Do you go to the doctor when your child has an ear infection, or do you let it run it's course?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 1:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• When mine are sick and I suspect it could be an ear infection I take the kids to the Doctor for him to diagnose what is going on and leave it up to him to decide if antibiotics are needed or not. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Aw crap. Ok, I decide to be dyslexic. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I take my kids just because its not MY ear and I can't feel what they feel.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son never had one, but, I am a run it's course unless he is in severe pain with it person. Antibiotics only work if it is a viral infection, if it is a bacterial one...then it won't work. Mostly, docs give antibiotics just to appease nervous parents because those parents would freak out upon hearing their kid had an "infection" and doc wasn't gonna fix it immediately with the superdrug. LOL If your nursing, you can always put a little breastmilk in the ear and it helps a lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• "Antibiotics only work if it is a viral infection, if it is a bacterial one...then it won't work."

I believe it is the other way around :P
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• LOL
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• we never know when my son has ear infections. They have always been found by accident. In fact his first one we had no idea and I took him to the doctor cuz it was oozing, come to find out it busted his ear drum. But he has had several in a short amount of time. We had to keep going back in for check ups cuz they would not stop.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 3:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I try to give it time - because yes, some of them to resolve on their own. But if the pain gets worse and worse, or they start having other symptoms with it, or it's been well over a week, we go in.
    Anonymous

• i usually take my ds in if i know he has one. i used to get them when i was a kid so i know how much they can hurt. If they dont clear up, they can cause hearing and speech problems. the doc told me to that in the US, its a must by the laws to give a Rx for an ear infction because they have no real way of knowing if its bacterial or viral.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011