Time outs

Ok so you're supposed to sit your kid in time out quietly for a minute of each year of their age, but what if I sit my 2 year old in time out and he screams for 30 minutes? He doesn't quiet down long enough to sit quietly for 2 minutes. He doesn't even do this when he's NOT in time out. Does this mean time out for him is ineffective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do not believe that time outs work with the majority of children. I much preferred to spank my children when they disobeyed or were disrespectful. It is quick, it is done, and it is over. You tell the child what he did wrong aka why he is being spanked, you administer the discipline, you hug him and you tell him that you love him too much to allow him to grow up being rebellious, and it's over. He will cry, but I bet it won't be for 30 minutes.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Maybe, but my child thinks spanking is funny. Even if he cries, he also laughs. Then he spanks himself, or tries to spank me back.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't make my dd be quiet, I just make her sit there. If she is in time out because of a tantrum then I let her know I will come back to get her when she calms down, but if she is just jibbering away in time out I let her do her two minutes and I go get her, get the apology and we're done.
    Have you tried taking toys away? It might work better, instead of giving a warning that he will get a time out if he doesn't do something, warn him that you will take his toy away, and then if you have to you can put the toy away for a certain amount of time. Maybe putting Thomas the Train in time out would have a bigger impact?
    Or you just have a very spirited child on your hands and are going to have to get really creative! In which case, don't let them get the better of you, Mama. You are older and wiser and can out think a toddler. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• The time out thing worked most of the time for my oldest son ( Hes 3 1/2 now ) and if I had to I would spank his bottom ( he hated time outs more ) But with my youngest son ( almost 2 ) nothing seems to work but I still try.. my youngest screams like you said your does I hope this passes soon lol
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Ah the punishment proof age. They do get the time out thing eventually. What I found was that time out wasn't just a place but a time period of being ignored. Put him somewhere safe behind a gate and walk away for that two minutes and let him cry it out or just simply ignore him and tell him Mommy will be back when you calm down and say you are sorry. I know, easier said then done. It does get easier when they start to feel a little more remorse but right now ANY attention is good attention-even spanking so what your game is to avoid that attention.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• PS a few times when I was FURIOUS and nothing else worked I put him in time out in the car seat, turned the car on to keep it warm/cool and sat a few feet away just out of sight where he couldn't go anywhere. I guess its a little cruel but in desperation it was effective.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I believe 100% in spanking. I got spanked when I was growing up. My mom got spanked when she was growing up. Look at the world today. How much violence and rebellion goes on. When kids are disciplined properly, they turn out to be better people. They know right from wrong.

Putting the nose in the corner works better than just sitting them down and making them be quiet. My SS3,however, refuses to put his nose in the corner when he gets into trouble so DH will usually end up either spanking him or putting him to his room.
    Jillian529

Answer by Jillian529 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Every child is different we need to remember that
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2011