At what age?

Do you allow children to walk home with a friend? I believe it's less than a mile, but not super close to the school, as in, they would have to walk through the neighborhood.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest is almost 8 and I wouldn't let him (not that it applies to us). Maybe 10.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think me and my sister were about 7 or 8 when we started to walk home from school. It depends on the area that you live in. for example if I lived in a bad area or they would have to walk through a bad area then I wouldnt let them till middle school or high school. But if it is a good area then I wouldnt see a problem with it. Also if you have friends that live near where they would have to walk then you could ask them to hang out outside to see when they passed by to make sure everything is going ok....I found out my mom did that... Good luck and I hope this helps a bit....How old is your child?
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• 11 or 12, scary to release control though.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 2:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My DD is only 3 so I of course, wouldnt even think about it. but I would say by age 13 I would porbably allow her to do it, but only because we live in an extremely small town and arent very far from the school. Otherwise, I wouldnt allow her to do it until about 16. Maybe I am to overprotective though :)
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• at least 10 years old.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• In today's world, I'm not sure it's safe at any age.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son is 7. His friend asked this morning as I was dropping him off at school, and I just said "ok" cause I didn't want to be in the classroom after the bell rang disrupting class. Apparently his friend walks home every day. It's not a "bad" area, but there have been reports multiple times (one a few weeks ago) of someone trying to pick up middle school children in the area. I just don't think I can do it. It's giving me a stomachache thinking about it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My kids don't live close enough to the school to walk home, but I have let my 9 yo dd and my 11 yo ds walk/ride bikes together around the neighborhood and over to their friends/grandmother's houses for a year now.

Answer by missanc at 2:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I was walking to/from school at the age of 6 by myself (sometimes with older brothers, if they didn't leave me behind or I didn't leave before them). But then again, I grew up in hick town USA, and we were very safe to do so.

If you don't feel comfortable in allowing your child do to it (or that the neighborhood is bad), I would say don't even think about it. I don't know where you live or how it is around where you live. I wouldn't allow my children, even my 10 year old, to walk more than 1/2 a block away from the house here.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My kids were walking to and from school on their own (well, together) when they were in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades. We lived in Chicago and the school was like 3 blocks away. Now we live in WA and they don't walk to school (it's 2 miles away and take the bus) but they are allowed to roam our neighborhood which means walking to and from friends' houses. They are 8, 9 and 10.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011