How can I groom a Shih Tzu at home?

We rescued a Shih tzu yesterday and the poor dear was matted with the help of my sister we have gotten all the mats out. She is still however covered in fleas (I removed all the ticks). I gave her a capstar this morning and followed it with Vectra 3D and I am getting real good at picking fleas off. I have her a vet appointment in 2 days (the soonest my vet can get her in for yearly exam etc). This is why I can't just run out and have her groomed (money and no proof of rabies at the moment). Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to groom her w/o making her look horrible.

smurfyangel

Asked by smurfyangel at 1:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pets

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Honestly, if she is that matted up then just shave her down all together. It will help her feel better, you can get most of the fleas off because they will be in the mats. Just take some scissors, pull up on the mats and cut off what you can. Then, if you have a set of human clippers, or dog clippers, shave off what you can't get with the scissors.

If you are scared to do it on your own, call the groomer, explain your situation and ask if they can take her because of her condition and promise to pay them when you get her to the vet....they might be sympathetic.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011