Should i move to a bigger car seat?

My daughter is almost 8 months old. She weighs 20 pounds and is 27 inches long. The infant car seat she is in has a weight limit of 22 pounds. Should I move her up to a bigger seat?

kvanness0824

Asked by kvanness0824 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, but I would but keep her rear facing til about age 2. Heres a pic of my dds car seat she is 14 months old and 21 lbs and this car seat goes up to 65 lbs.

L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes, there are many convertible carseats on the market. I know of one that will keep her rearfacing until 40lbs and 39ins.

http://themominformed.blogspot.com/2011/03/if-your-under-2-year-old-is-too-big-to.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• sorry didn't mean to add that extra *but in there
    L0vingMy3Girls

• You might as well. It's an added expense and rear-facing can get really frustrating as kids get older and get "bored." But all of the safety testing proves that rear-facing is the safest. We have that Graco seat pictured above by the first person who answered and I LOVE it. My almost three year old still fits in it. He's forward facing now because he's too tall to be rear-facing, (he's a giant) but the seat itself is really deep and cozy.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I moved to a seat that would be both rear facing and front facing for my girls once they were hanging over the baby carseat.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• the myride 65 is a great convertible seat! i switched at 8 months!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Now is a good time, because sometimes they gain so quickly that you might not realize when she hits the 22 lbs. Make sure that you keep her rear facing until she is 12 mos in addition to being 20 lbs, at the VERY LEAST, preferably 2 yrs and 30lbs, or even longer!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would go ahead and move her to a bigger convertbile seat and then RF until she outgrows the limits of her seat.
    The seat above.. Graco Myride is a really nice seat.... you might also look at the Complete Air 65.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• go ahead and move her to a bigger convertible seat keep it rear facing till she outgrows the weight limit
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2011