What advice would you have for someone buying an above ground pool or what has been your experience with them?

My husband is thinking about buying an above ground pool. He's pretty sure if he gets one, it will be the kind with a metal frame. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Angela

Angebor

Asked by Angebor at 10:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Home & Garden

• We have a 15 foot metal frame vinyl pool that we've put up for the 3rd summer in a row. We love it!! We originally got one of those that you blow up the top ring and fill but it collapsed while filling and flooded our yard. With a metal frame pool, the yard doesn't have to be perfectly level, cuz ours isn't but with one of those inflatable deals it has to be absolutely perfectly flat and level.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Above gound pool. Now that it is up it great. We had one of those pools that you blew up the top ring then filled. The I decided we needed a big better you know. Anyway My first sugestion would be find the most level ground you can find. Then have a pool building party. The more shovles the better. It was hard but worth every shovle of dirt I hauled. Good Luck, If you get stuck, send me a message and I'll let you talk with my husband! Gina
    ginal966

Answer by ginal966 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I would go to a "pool store" and make sure you have someone explain the upkeep with the chemicals - that was the hardest part about our pool - I couldn't keep it regulated and wasn't sure how.
    Also, like the pp said, make sure you get the ground completely level before you put it up. The easiest way (instead of digging) is to layer the ground with about 1/2" to 1" of sand and level that out, then put up the pool. Make sure you price them before buying, and figure in the price of chemicals - always buy enough the first time to last about 2 months!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I've had a 24 foot above ground pool since I was a kid, except for only a few years between being a teenager and getting my own home. Definately find a very level spot and sand is a must. For us it was, anyway... our ground is a bit rocky. If you can afford it I'd pay to have someone put it up, because it is a pain, but not really difficult. Just need a lot of hands. Upkeep is usually more expensive at the beginning of summer, with shock and other chemicals. Depending on usage, you will need to sweep it at least once a week. We also banned earrings, unless they have safety backs. Replacing the liner can be expensive, but we usually end up having to do so every few years. Pools are so much fun, though. Worth every minute of work!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• We have an above ground pool (a 4' deep one). We've had it for 21 years and it is still kicking. My dad takes care of it, though. I remember helping him put it up, though. Evening out the ground. He used foam wedges around the sides (I'm sure the pool store or whoever will recommend them) which was better then the sand bags we used as a kid with our 3' high pool.

Ours is left up year round. The only problem is it takes up most of our back yard but it is worth it in the summer. The kids spend every moment they can in the pool. The level ground thing is important. I JUST noticed this year that the ground our pool is on isn't perfectly level. The water is slightly higher on one side then the other. My dad says it has always been like that, lol. That puts added pressure on the pool sides.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008