How much tv is too much tv?

ilovemyliam

Asked by ilovemyliam at 2:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think no more than 2 hours......I use to keep the tv on for background noise, bad habbit. Now I try to turn music on instead.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think more than 3 hours a day is TOO much. Our kids only watch cartoons on sat. mornings ( about 2 hours) and then during the week sometimes after dinner/baths if we have time we will watch a movie.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i read a great book, i think it was called "into the mind of babes: how tv time effect kids" or something like that. It was a really good book & convinced me the less time the better & anything more than 2hrs is too much for young kids..
    and we try to have cartoons that have some type of education in them. (which most shows in the morning are)

Now as much as i can the tv is off in our house period to eliminate "background noise".
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• The little handout from the pediatrician said no more than 60 minutes at that age. I don't agree with throwing the kid in front of the tv unless you are using the bathroom or are desperate, but I think that the big deal is that in this time they need to learn to communicate and not just take in but get stuff out so I would say that the TV time becomes a problem when its conflicting with that.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Honestly I dont think too much is too much I sit and watch educational shows with my son and tlak to him about what we are watching and NO I dont just sit him infront of the TV its our learning time
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm sorry, but "learning time" is just bullshit. Kids between the ages of 1-2 learn from hands on experience, not watching a show on tv. If the kid is sucked into the show you might get the idea that they are "learning" but that's simply not the case. Their brains don't work that way at this age. Get your children outside, take walks, go to indoor play areas and spend time with other children...THAT is how you teach your child.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 1:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011