My discussion question in Business class

Americans are known for their long-term love affair with their cars. But as gasoline prices soar and concern about the environment mounts, the need to conserve gasoline has become increasingly clear. What would it take to reduce the overall demand for gasoline in the United States? Consider the full range of possibilities from the availability of bike paths to the cost of car insurance.

What are some of your thoughts ladies?

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, most of the gas we use isn't in cars. Consumer gas is only a tiny portion.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think the only thing that makes people drive allot less are how high the gas prices are. Sad but true., Every time it goes way high people drive less, when it goes back down they all drive more.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Insurance companies are starting to implement discounts for hybrid vehicles (less gas), there is one incentive. Our state has a new commuter train that they are continually expanding to go farther and the fares are very cheap, many commuters around here no longer drive their vehicles to work because it only cost like $3 a day. As a PP stated, the gas prices alone encourage conservation.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Not having to travel so far to get the things you need. Smaller towns with more recources. Instead of driving to the supermarket, or school, or work, or the doctors, you should be able to walk there. I know I wouldnt need a car at all if I had these things within a 2 mile range
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 3:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Developing alternatives that are more affordable than gas. Increasing prices to reduce consumption. Greater tax breaks for purchasing vehicles/appliances that require less gas or can use alternative fuels/energies. Increased options for public transportation. Rewards for or focuses on car pooling.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• LOL there is no shortage of oil and no shortage of gas as of yet. I will never drive anything other than an SUV and I don't care how much gas costs.
    Those who subscribe to the eco hype will go to their graves never really seeing what they hope to achieve. It's not going to happen.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2011