I may be over thinking this but...

DS doesn't respond to his name and stopped responding to simple commands. I've always kind of had a feeling that he's just a little different and we knew it was a real possibility since DH is an aspie and my brother is high functioning. DS is leagues ahead of other babies in figuring out things like opening cd cases and climbing the stairs but doesn't look up when you say his name and used to come when you asked him to,he also refuses to be held close or to cuddle at all even though he used to love it and he's now very noise sensitive and throws full melt down tantrums if ever held still even for a few moments.
I know he's only 8 months but does anybody think this is strange or a cause for concern especially considering the family history?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sorry to say, but it sounds like the beginning of Autism. Wait it out though, it might just be a stage, if it continues for a couple of months get him checked out by his doctor. Good luck
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 2:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Considering the history its a distinct possibility. Id discuss this with your Dr on the next appointment for sure.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My daughter was delayed in everything social. She is 5 now and she is acting nearly normal. She is ahead in figuring things out on her own and she has a killer memory. I would give him time to develop, at 8 months old he is going to listen sometimes and ignore you most others. Good luck. If you look for Autism you will drive yourself crazy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Could be autism like xmama said, or hearing loss, or it could just be he's strong willed, my daughter responded to her name but didn't like to be cuddled as an infant but she does some now, she's just too busy to sit still with you that long. I'd ask your pediatrician to evaluate him the sooner you can get him some occupational therapy the better if needed gl
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It is too soon I think to be thinking of Autism. To me he sounds like any 8 month old that is surrounding his world. He doesn't want to be held tight because he wants to be on the go. When you say his name what is he doing? I would guess getting into something, playing with something, exploring? As far the noise, that is with everything else. He is becoming more aware of his surrounding, if there is a loud noise it might freak him out. I would wait it out and not jump to any conclusions.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Talk to a professional.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Its too early for have a diagnosis since babies all go through phases. Just document what you can and I am sure your pediatrician knows about the family history.

Answer by gemgem at 3:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think you do your best to find a balance between listening to your instincts and watching for signs of problems that run in the family, while at the same time not reading into every little thing or overreacting at each change. I would keep a watchful eye and develop a good repoire with your pediatrician. If you continue to see signs of a problem be your child's best advocate to get the best diagnosis and treatment for whatever challenges he may have. Early intervention is key, although I don't know how much can be done at 8 months old, but eventually the time may come where it can help him adjust and learn in the best way for him. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would talk to your Dr but I also think that 8 mths is very early to diagnose.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• maybe this is just his new fase but nothing ever rong with askin doc
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2011