For religious people please.

If someone were to ask you what religion you were and then asked you how to describe your religion how would you respond? I got a PM asking me this, and Im stumped, yea, ME at a loss for words. LOLOL Its probably just a bible thumper looking to bash me for what/how I believe, but Im curious how you lady's would handle this.

vbruno

Asked by vbruno at 3:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Why should you have to say anything? Just say it is not something I talk about with others.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If this is just a random pm, I'd politely tell them, that you respect everyone's religion, regardless of if you agree with them. And leave it at that. Your right, it's probably someone wanting to preach to you...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would have to do my best to describe the 2 religions that I am most active in: Hinduism and Sikhism. The difficulty of doing so would depend greatly on what the person knew or had been told about these 2 religions. I'm finding that many have heard of Hindus but know little about them and very few have even heard of Sikhs. So, I would do my best to explain or share what I could about these 2 religions in terms that the person I was communicating with would understand. Regardless of how I tried to explain or share information, if the person I who asked already had preconceived notions or ideals in regards to these 2 religions, then nothing I would say would really matter. I've experienced that a few times.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Why would it be hard to answer it? You do know what you believe right?
    I'd say I'm Wiccan which is a nature based religion. If they want to be a thumper then they can be ignored.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I'd just say I'm a Christian, which is a follow of Jesus. I want to add that it's awfully rude of you to just assume it's a bible thumper looking to bash you.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• First I would handle it by not assumingthey are trying to bash me. I would also refrain from bashing them by calling them a "Bible Thumper".  I would think of what I would like to know about a religion I do not follow.  Like, Who/ what do they worship?  How do they worship?  Is there a central being or many? and so on.   Then I would answer them about my own religion in my reply.  Then I would thank them for showing interest in my religion and offer to answer any other questions they may have.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Thanks Lady's. I appreciate all your inputs.
    vbruno

Comment by vbruno (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Invite them to attend your church this Sunday and they can find out for themselves.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2011