Do you keep some of your stuff in a rented storage unit?

I did until a few months ago ~

How did we get so much STUFF? What happens when all the boomers start downsizing?

"Call it the great American sell-off . For years now Americans have been gathering and collecting at an amazing pace, filling homes that over the past half-century have more than doubled in size, to an average of nearly 2,500 square feet. And even that hasn't been enough to contain our nation's overflow of stuff. These days nearly one in 10 U.S. households maintains at least one self-storage unit, 65 percent more than did so in 1995. Filling these spaces, of course, comes naturally to baby boomers. Born into the giddy postwar climate of conspicuous consumption and weaned on decades of easy credit, they're a generation accustomed to regularly leaving offerings at the altar of retail."

Read more: Downsizing Boomers Looking to Sell Their Stuff - SmartMoney.com http://www.smartmoney.com/personal-finance/retirement/downsizing-boomers-looking-to-sell-their-stuff-1301517395843/#ixzz1JL0nBvxc

tasches

Asked by tasches at 3:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Nope. There's plenty of stuff I go without because we don't have room for it - and I'm not about to store it elsewhere.
    Anonymous

• Yes, and it cost me a fortune.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No, we don't. To us, a storage unit is a waste of money. If you can't keep all your stuff within your own space, then you have too much stuff and seriously need to rethin your priorities.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I do- We're getting rid of it this month though. It's just a small one, and was just for transitioning to the new apartment, since we had to move everything in such a rush. My mother, on the other hand, has the BIGGEST one you can get, and it's FULL of dressers, chest of drawers, clothes, nicknacks you name it, she has it. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Several years ago we had to move from a huge 4 bedroom 2 bath house with a double car garage (we had lots of stuff) into a tiny little 1 bedroom 1 bathroom small itsy bitsy house with a one car garage. We packed the little place to the rafters, suff was everywhere, garage you couldn't even walk into, and we HAD to rent a storage unit at $75.00 a month. Six months later when things changed for us and we were able to get something bigger I went through the packed house, and garage and storage unit and TOSSED tons of stuff. Could never figure out why I hadn't done it before we moved into that little tiny place, definitely not my brightest moment!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Both DH and I were married before and each had a house full of stuff. I've finally cleared out of the paid storage units but I've got SO MUCH to go through. My DD better hope I don't keel over any time soon or else she's going to inherit a lot of junk.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• no i use my =garage
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Nope
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 2:49 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Nuh-uh. There's no way I would do that- at that point I would be purging some stuff....
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2011