How much formula should my 5month old be drinking?

My son is 5months old. He weighs 18lbs and is about 25in long. He has been eating solids for over a month now. His daily routine is

8am: Cereal (about 2 tablespoons)w/ fruit(1/2 jar 2nd foods) and 2oz of formula
12pm: 4oz formula
3pm: 4oz formula
5pm: Meat(1/2 jar 2nd foods), veggie(1/2 jar 2nd foods) and fruit(1/2 jar 2nd foods) and 1oz formula
7:30: 8oz formula

Then he goes to bed and sleeps until 7:30am. So, he is only getting about 19oz of formula a day. Is this amount ok? I try to give him more but he won't take it. I don't want to over-feed him, but I don't want to under-feed him either. Should I cut his food and give him more formula? Before he started solids he was drinking 6oz every 4hrs during the day; so he was drinking about 30oz in a day. He almost cut his formula by half, is that ok, or should he be drinking more formula?

babyboomboom

Asked by babyboomboom at 2:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That varies SO much from kid to kid. Discuss any diet-related stuff with your pediatrician to determine what's right for your little one. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my nutristionist said not to start baby on meat till 9 months... i started my boy at about 8 months.. maybe you can cut back on the meat... also 24oz of formula is the minimum a baby should have.. 19oz is only 5 oz lower, but you should call your doctor to make sure... but i was told 24oz a day and no meat till 9 months... but i was also told no veggies or fruits till 6 months...

my son at 5 months was about 15lbs and he was eating twice a day...
    (7am) 6oz formula when we woke up
    (9am) a few hours later a full bowl of rice cereal with a full stage 2 fruit
    (12-1pm) 8oz bottle and nap
    (3pm) 6oz formula
    (7pm) full stage 2 fuirt and veggie
    (9pm) 8oz bottle and sleep

thats like 28oz... call the doctor though to make sure, they might say that because hes eating so well thats its okay! thats what they said to me when i told him that by 5 months he was eating fruit, veggies, cereal and drinking juice bottles....
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 2:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would suggest calling your pediatrician's office and letting them know what he's eating, his age, and his stats. They can let you know if he's getting too much or not enough of something. As long as he's happy and not acting like he is hungry, you are probably doing just fine.

Also, I'm sure if you google "infant diet" lots of sample diets will pop up to compare your son's to.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 3:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Well your kid is definetly eating!!! Why dont you cut down the heavy dinner so that he can have more formula. At so little I would be worried about dehydration, and since he is only getting formula that is even more cause for concern. Think about what if he gets sick specially now during flu & cold season. How will you push liquids then? If he isnt having very much to begin with...
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 3:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• each child is different, up until they are 12 months a baby can survive off of formula/bm alone. If you feel he isnt getting enough, i would cut back on some of the table foods and try to offer a few ounces more with those meals.
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I think he should be drinking more and eating less baby food. SO before he eats give him his bottle and have him drink 3-4 oz then offer foods, then see if he wants more to drink. At his age he should be getting most of his nutrition from formula. He should be drinking around 30oz in 24 hours. He probably shouldn't be eating meat yet either... he is too young (I think it's around 7-9 months that you give meats)
    My doctor said if food is given before 6 months you give cereal, one fruit and one vege and nothing else. SO right now my 4 month old gets only cereal but we might introduce avocado next.. and maybe carrots.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• ***Edit: My pedi is the one that told me I could start him on baby foods. He said as long as I watch for allergies he can eat whatever I want to give him. So I started with cereal, then fruit, then veggies, and yesterday I started meats. He also said I can give him juice(mixed with water) He told me all that at my son's 4month check up.***
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 5:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008