What would you say if your ds said this?

My ds does not want any tips from me when it comes to baseball :( he says this is the new ages...lol I was like dang I am not that old...lol anyway he said to just leave it up to daddy and his coach :(
I was just trying to help a little where we saw his flaws out on the field. it kind of made me feel like I won't sable to talk to him about anything :(
Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would remind him that behind every great man there is a woman making his lunch and telling him how to do his job =P
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 3:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Sometime you should get outside and play with him "one on one", show him mommy does know what she's talkin about!  I did that with my son in basketball, I out shot him!!!  :)

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• depends on WHY he said it.... is it because 1) he has never seen you play baseball and thinks you dont know what your talking about or is it because 2) you are a woman or was it 3) your approach?

1) play with him

2) have dad ask your opinion in front of him

3) dont sound like a lecture

Anonymous

• I'd tell him that the new age of baseball players gets confused by your retro moves & they might be worth looking into someday
    since_3.18.93

Answer by since_3.18.93 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Sometimes kids have different roles for different people. I assume as my son gets older, he'll start partitioning 'areas of expertise' even more than he does now. I know baseball, for example, but DH played ball as a kid and in college. Our son knows this. When he wants tips, he sees Dad. That's ok. It's their "thing" together. Me? I'm the one he comes to for school work and writing questions regarding the myriad of stories he pens.

There *will* be things your son won't want to share with you as he gets older. BUT, how broad those topics are and how resistant he is *will* depend on how you handle his pull back for privacy or independence. If he feels you're too wounded or too lecturing or too opinionated or too something, he's less likely to come to you. Be the parent. But also be open to hearing him out and keep 'his terms' in mind. you know what i mean?
    Anonymous

• Let him get his coaching from his coach and his dad. My son did the same thing with me. I just let the coach do what he was there to do. I praised my son when he did good and left it at that. And my son STILL talks to me about other things.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 13, 2011