inheritance???

i'm getting an inheritance and i'm wondering if anyone knows how long it will take to get. part of the estate being settled was that the house had to be sold and the closing was last month. i'm in desperate need of money or else it wouldn't matter (the estate has been open for the last 2 years) anyone know how long it might take before i see anything from it?

jamie28

Asked by jamie28 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• It depends on millions of factors. I would reccomend that you not hold your breath. When my dad passed, we were told 2 more weeks at least 3 or 4 times. It took at least six months after the first time they said "2 more weeks."
    Sounds like you've already been waiting a while so maybe you're on the home stretch. Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If the house was just closed on I would call the real estate agent and ASK when the Escrow closes. You should get a payout after that.  Also Call the lawyer handeling the estate and ask him. He might have forgotten to do the paperwork.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If the estate went through probate (meaning there was no will in effect at the time of death) the state will have a mandatory period that the estate must stay in probate before any distributions will be made. (Time differs from state to state and also are impacted by the amount of assets in the estate).   The court will appoint a probate attorney and they would be able to let you know how much longer you will have to wait.

If there was a will and it is not in dispute, then it will hold the secret of when assets can be distributed. I would suggest getting a copy of the will so you will know what must be satisfied pursuant to the deceased request before distributions can be made. The executor of the estate will be named in the will and is responsible for ensuring the terms of the will are honored. That is the person you want to speak with (if there was a will).

TrudyP

Answer by TrudyP at 3:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2008