Should I wait for him to grow up?

My SO of 6 years is 28 and we have a young son. We get along great for the most part and he is a pretty good dad. But he is still very immature and I feel like I need a man. I matured a lot after we had our son and although he's grown up some it's not enough. Should I wait for him to grow up? Is it too offensive to ASK if he's ever going to grow up? Or should I move on now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Some men never grow up, so don't expect a quick transformation.

Answer by older at 4:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If he's not a man at 28,its unlikely he ever will be! That's a little old to be still acting like a child...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Me personally.

What I would do, how I would approach the situation.. Would greatly depend on what is meant by needs to "grow up"... What areas is he immature in, how are those things affecting me/us as a family...etc... How I would handle it would depend on those types of things.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No. Hoping he will change is what gets most people in trouble.

IMO, if you've already got a child it's a little too late to decide he's not man enough for you. You and your child would probably be better off finding a way to cope than a way to get out.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think if you are questioning you already have an answer. I wouldn't waste anymore of my time, I would sit down with him and tell him exactly what I expect and want in a relationship. Tell him he either has to change NOW to meet your expectations or you are moving on with your life. Good Luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I second the above, and depending how he is immature would be the breaker for me. My exhusband was immature when it came to his attitude about life such as not thinkign it was fair that all his money went for bills....and that was a no-no for me, I had to get out but my SO now is a bit immature as in plays video games, like "new toys"(gadgets and gizmos) but that I can live with.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Love and accept him as he is,faults and all. If you cannot,move on because you both deserve better.
    thecoffeefairy

Answer by thecoffeefairy at 4:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree that if you have to ask, you probably already know the answer to your question. But, since you do have a child together, look at the big picture before you do anything drastic. Are the things he's immature about stuff that you can live with and will do no harm to your child? People think my husband is immature, but he works, helps out at home, spends time with and helps with the kids, makes us all know we're loved and protects us, so to me if he's a little silly or immature at times over stupid stuff, I could care less.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011