Do any of you have young adult children who are pursuing acting/modeling/music/writing?

How are they doing? Are they working to support themselves, or are you supporting them while they try to establish themselves?

Any successes?

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 4:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• My son's passion is music, he is 23 years old and has been playing the drums since he was 3, he graduated with honors and right now is only working part time, because jobs are limited, but since he was very young you would ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up and music was always his answer, he wants a record deal with a band. It is a dream of his that I will not crush, but a pretty hard dream to accomplish.

Answer by older at 4:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Wow! That is great! Is he doing part-time in the industry, or did he have to find something unrelated?
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• He is doing part time in the Industry of Communications which is what where he has a bachelor, he meant to get one in music but he wasn't allowed into the music school and was forced to choose another major, he works for s local tv news channel, but makes only 12$ an hour and no benefits. He is still looking for something else even if it unrelated, but a full time, so he can have his nights for his music. I refuse to crush his dream!

Answer by older at 8:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It is so hard . . . television, etc . . .they really make people "pay their dues", don't they? Ahhh! It is so good that he is actually in a related field, where he has a chance to network.
    If you guys are in the LA area, has he begun his job search at a music label of any sort? He may be able to get his foot in the door with his communications background, and there certainly would be many more contacts for his drumming. I wish him all the best!

My brother, 31, is also a musician . . . but it has been many years of struggle and pitfalls. He made the mistake of not getting an education, so that has limited him . . . now he's basically enetering the world with zero skills.
    Your son has done it smartly!
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Both my son & daughter have CD's out. My son with a band & my daughter, herself. Both are very successful.
    Anonymous

• That is great to hear, anon! Congratulations to the both of them!

Did you have to help them out at all, or were they able to figure all of the financial stuff out themsleves without your support?
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 5:36 PM on May. 1, 2011