What would happen if the govt all of a sudden...

said NO MORE food stamps? Meaning they weren't available anymore.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd bitch and whine a little bit, then my boyfriend and I would go back to what we did before I got approved and try to survive on $80 a month for food. *shrug*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• well the mom that takes vacations and goes to Disneyworld but is on food stamps would save the money for food instead of vacations hopefully!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• It would go back to what it was like before food stamps? The govt would give you funky cheese, beans and stuff? You would grow your own food? Churches would be over run with ppl needing help with food. Food banks for the poor would be empty.
    I think Food stamps is a good idea. Its also a seperate program from welfare which many people dont know and its run differently. There will always be ppl who take advantage regardless, its just our job to report them when we see them breaking the law. I dont want to see families who need help go without it, or children starving because a few nimwits broke the law.

Answer by gemgem at 2:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• LOL anon! I saw that too!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:22 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Theoretically after awhile the price for food would actually drop a bit. For 2 reasons: First, companies would be paying less tax and would drop prices to be more competitive, secondly the demand for certain food would be lower, because people would consume less (because its a proven fact that if someone else is "paying" then you consume more), so prices would drop to make up for falling demand.
    Anonymous

• Also cafemom would be lonely because alot of moms couldn't afford to pay for their internet...
    Anonymous

• lmao anon 2:25! The pawn shop would be overflowing with computers and laptops with a history of cafemom on the internet cache?
    Anonymous

• I'm sure all you women who can't quit harping on those "evil, lazy welfare recipients" would be jumping up and down, nevermind that people were starving.

Whatever happened to helping those in need? Apparently that's only a good thing if they fit your definition of needy. I'd imagine the prerequisite for getting help would look something like this:

1. They must buy ALL of their clothes at Goodwill
    2. They must have no car, or if they do, it must be at least 30 years old.
    3. They must be living in a 2 bedroom trailer (no need to live beyond their means!)
    4. They must not have internet/phones/computers/television/jewelry or anything else that's worth over 100 dollars.
    5. They must have no electricity. They could be saving the money from their power bill by heating their home with a wood stove and using candles for light.
    6. etc, etc, etc.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I almost posted this same question, but knew that people would attack me rather than the post itself. So, thankyou for writing it for me! Imagine that, no food stamps. I wonder if people would suddenly find some skills they didn't know they had...like housecleaning, lawwnmowing,dogwalking and floppin whoppers. The funny thing about jobs, is that they eventually lead to another one that is better. Wow, what a great American concept.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Actually they do have prerequisites for having food stamps. I dont think you can have so much money in the bank or savings, and your car has to be worth under a certain amount. If youre needy and ask for assistance the government already has things in place before they will give you anything.
    Secondly I was a single mom and had to get foodstamps at one point. Im not ashamed. I went back to college, got my degree, remarried and dont need them now. When I had them I didnt have a computer, I didnt have online service, I didnt have cable, I didnt own any expensive jewelry because I had pawned it to pay bills, and I did shop at goodwill.

Answer by gemgem at 2:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2008